Part Eleven

CHAPTER TEN

Leilani slept like a log and woke up feeling more refreshed than she had in a long while. Dinner the previous night with Vittorio and Renato went better than expected, with both men proving they could be lively conversationalists when they chose. She had detected a slight chill between the men when they greeted, but it was either her imagination or was short-lived, as they appeared quite harmonious for the remainder of the meal.

Still, she felt emotionally confused. On one hand, she was about to have more family than she expected to upon leaving Australia; yet, on the other hand, she wasn't sure how to connect on a more meaningful level. She would obviously need to give both relationships more time.

First things first. She was due to meet up with Camilla again, who would apparently be organising a showing of wedding dresses at the apartment. Leilani couldn't stand the woman. She barely knew her intended and had little confidence in his ability to remain monogamous, with the likes of Camilla around. Neither did Leilani have enough confidence to confront him with her doubts. It would only increase his perception that she was insecure, and she was desperate to shake that image.

Self-reflecting, she knew that from the moment Renato met her, he'd not seen her at her best. They'd met not long after she'd learnt of her parents' deception, and even now, she felt misplaced. To know that she was barely tolerated by the man who raised her was now conceivable with the knowledge of her true parentage. However, it hurt to know that Vittorio had been happy to leave her as an infant. Discarded by those that should have cared for and loved her affected her self-esteem and confidence in a way that was unimaginable.

She couldn't think about this right now; she was still too raw, and indulging in self-pity would get her nowhere. It simply was what it was, and she would just have to deal with it and get on with her life. The last thing she needed was to feel vulnerable with vicious Camilla about to arrive at any moment. She could easily imagine what conclusions the woman would come to if she saw Leilani in a weak moment.

Grabbing a hold of her make-up case, she pulled out what was necessary and started applying various products, using the technique advised by the makeup artist. Then she took five deep breaths, decided it was time to face the day, and headed down to breakfast where she could relish the next half hour or so of peace.

Renato was firing off instructions to Camilla, which she was busily entering into her tablet, so she didn't realise when Leilani walked in. However, he missed nothing.

He noticed the sway of her blonde hair and lithe body, and her mouth with those lips that knew his, and how he'd love to savour them again. It was her eyes, though, that truly drew his attention. She looked relaxed until she spotted him and Camilla; Renato spotted the immediate change in her demeanour.

Wariness crept into her eyes as she took them both in, and then the subtle straightening of her shoulders and squaring her jaw seemed to prepare her for whatever imaginative battle she was concocting.

Camilla realised that he'd stopped dictating and glanced up to see what was distracting him. Noticing Leilani, she ignored his intended and continued with their task, effectively snubbing her. Renato rose to his feet, and he opted for a show of unity and greeted her more enthusiastically than he'd intended. "Buongiorno, tesorino." He greeted her with the loving endearment and leant in for a kiss.

Touching his lips to hers, he momentarily forgot that they were not alone. Firmly, he took a hold of his woman and branded her with a kiss that would remind her of him all day long.

It was Leilani that wiggled out of the embrace first, becoming conscious of their onlooker. A sexy blush stained her cheeks; she mumbled a barely-comprehensible greeting and took her seat at the table. Renato observed that Camilla uttered an insincere greeting, not wanting to appear rude. Renato would have to keep an eye on her; she was a brilliant assistant, but he knew how a woman could be, and any unwanted interference in his personal life would not be tolerated.