Chapter XIX- No One Like You

Start from the beginning

"I just wanted to say good job, you know, back at the vamp's place." He says, nodding slightly.

"Thanks." I say, being short with him.

"Is there something wrong? I noticed you looked upset when I said we should split." He says, and I turn to face him.

"Why would I be upset? At least this time you told me you were leaving." I say, turning to see him roll his eyes.

"Really? Is this what it's about?" He says, and I raise my eyebrows.

"What? I have a right to be angry with you. You left me completely alone like it was nothing. I thought I was more than just some one night stand you'd picked up in a bar, but that was exactly how you'd treated me." I say, crossing my arms. He looks away, shrugging.

"Is that all you have to say about breaking my heart?" I ask, staring at him with wide eyes. He looks up to me, his eyes wide as well.

"Layla, do you want to know the truth about why I left?" He says, and I stand silently waiting for an answer, "I was scared."

"What?" I say, anger flooding into my voice.

"I'm scared I'm not enough for you. I'm scared that you'll realize that you're way too good for me. I'm scared you'll realize I'm a piece of crap." He says, and I remain silent.

"Why would you think that?" I ask, and he takes a deep breath.

"Because it's true, Layla." He says. I shake my head.

"That's not true," I take a step forward, sitting on the edge of the bed. "Dean, you save people for a living. You've sacrificed your life so that people can live their own."

"That still doesn't mean I can be there for you. I can't promise you a happy life, a real home. This is what I will always do, live in a motel, or drive in my car. I can't promise you that I'll come home." Dean says, and I see his eyes become glassy. I can tell this has been bothering him for a while.

"I can't promise you that either." I say, and he shakes his head. "Who says we have to be normal? We don't have to have a white picket fence, or a dog. We could just be us." I say, and he smiles sadly.

"I just don't think it could work. I have a promise to Sam-"

"Who says Sam isn't included? We could be the three musketeers." I say, and Dean laughs, staring at his feet.

"That's not what you want. It's not what I want for you." Dean says, shaking his head. "Remember when we first met... you said you were going off to college." He says, and I nod. "You should go and leave this behind. Live your life. Find a lawyer boyfriend and marry him, have ten kids. Have a dog and that white picket fence. Yellow eyes isn't your responsibility, Sam and I'll take care of it."

"Dean, it's not what I want anymore." I say, shrugging. "I'm too different now." But it wasn't true. Of course some nights I'd laid in bed, thinking about what my life would be like if I hadn't made Bobby teach me. I would've gone on to NYU, probably major in business, or computer science. I'd have a perfectly normal life, despite my parents being killed by a psychopath. This type of life, the life of a hunter, wasn't the best thing in the world. It was exhausting, and at the age of 20 I was already beginning to slow down and think about my death.

"I don't believe that." He says, biting his bottom lip. I look at my hands, thinking for a second. "You know... Sammy was at college when I went to get him."

"Really? Sam went to college?" I ask, and Dean nods, sitting on the bed beside me.

"Yeah." He says, his voice deep. "I regret it. I should've let him stay." He says, and I frown. "He's a smart guy, but after Jessica's death, he's different."

"Yeah." I say, pursing my lips. "But that still doesn't mean it's right for me."

"This life isn't right for anyone, Layla." He says, "We'll take care of Azazel, all you have to do is promise me that you'll go and be happy." I sniffle, not realizing that I'd started tearing up. I wipe my eyes with my sleeve.

"Dean, I won't be happy without you guys." I say, and he leans back on his hands.

"We'll come see you, we aren't going to forget about you." He simply says. I smile,

"I don't know if I could leave the fighting to just you boys. I think you'll be at risk without my girl power." I say, poking him in the chest playfully. He winks, smiling back at me.

"So you'll go?" He asks, and I shrug.

"I don't know yet. Give me a few days." I say, and he nods while getting up.

"Are you going to Bobby's?" He asks, and I nod.

"Will I see you there?" I ask, and he shakes his head.

"No, we're sticking with our dad." He says, pulling out his phone as someone calls him. "Got to go," He says, turning away slightly. Before he leaves I get up, walking over to him. He looks strangely at me, like I'm a ghost or something. I reach up, wrapping my arms around his neck while pressing my lips to his. He seems surprised, but wraps his arms around my waist after a moment. I pull back, smiling sadly up to him.

"Thanks for the talk. Be careful." I say, and he raises an eyebrow.

"Well," He says, reaching up to push my hair back with his palm, "think about what I said. You be careful, too. Call me when you get to Bobby's." With that he leaves me, and I breath deeply thinking of what he'd said. I'm not sure if going back to a normal life was an option anymore, but I would consider it. Thinking about what Azazel set me back to how I would never be able to be "normal", but it may be worth a shot if soon he would be out of the picture.