Chapter 7 - The Sorting Hat

As the students made their way through the giant doors into the Great Hall, Harry and Annie didn't even imagine how odd and magnificent the place was. The large room was lit by thousands of candles floating in midair over four long tables where the rest of the students were sitting with their black pointed hats and in front of them was another long table where the teachers were sitting. Empty golden plates and goblets lay on all the tables. Professor McGonagall guarded the first years down the center aisle toward the front of the Great Hall. Directly in front of the students was a wooden four-legged stool with a pretty large and old ragged pointed hat. Annie looked up at the ceiling as they were walking and noticed it showed the night sky wondering if they were really outside or if that was just some sort of spell for decoration. 

"It's not real, the ceiling," said Hermione to the right of Annie as they walked down the center of the Great Hall, "It's just bewitched to look like the night sky. I read about it in Hogwarts: A History." 

The students continued walking behind McGonagall until she walked up a couple step and said. "Now, you wait along here please," said McGonagall directing the students to wait behind the first step of the small stage. "Now before we begin, Professor Dumbledore would like to share a few words," said McGonagall. 

Dumbledore rose from his seat behind the main table and said. 

"I have a few start of term notices I wish to announce. The first years please note that the dark forest is strictly forbidden to all students." Dumbledore continued with announcement. "Also, our caretaker, Mr. Filch," said Dumbledore gesturing the old man in the back by the giant doors with a cat that had red eyes, "has asked me to remind you that the third floor corridor on the right hand side is out of bounds to everyone who does not wish to die a most painful death. Thank you." When Dumbledore finished his announcements, the room went completely silent. 

Harry and Annie cringed at the thought of having to endure a painful death.

"When I call your name," said McGonagall open up the scroll, "you will come forward, I shall place the sorting hat on your head, and you will be sorted into your houses." 

The first years got tense and nervous in the anticipation of who's name was gonna be called first. It wasn't until the first name was called. 

"Hermione Granger!!" Hermione instantly got nervous. 

"Oh no," Hermione said trying not to panic, "Okay, relax." 

"Mental that one, I'm telling you," whispered Ron while Harry nodded in agreement. 

McGonagall picked up the sorting hat as Hermione walked up to the stool and sat down. McGonagall then placed the sorting hat on Hermione's head. As the sorting hat rested on Hermione's head, it began to speak. 

"Ah, right then," said the sorting hat pondering on where to place Hermione, "hmm... right. Okay... GRYFFINDOR!!" 

The Gryffindor table erupted with cheers and applause as Hermione jumped up from the stool smiling and went to join the students at the table. 

"Draco Malfoy!" said McGonagall calling out more names. Draco walked up to the stool proudly, but slowly. As he sat down on the stool, Draco glazed over at Annie and gave a wink, but Annie glared at him clenching her fists. Harry touched her forearm to prevent Annie from going up there to clobber Draco. 

The tattered hat barely touched Draco's head before it said, "SLYTHERIN!!" The students at the Slytherin table roared with applause as Draco went to join the other Slytherin classmates. 

"You should've just let me clobber him," whispered Annie over Harry's shoulder. 

"Not on our first day," Harry whispered back.