Chapter 30: Leah

"I feel like I've stolen her life," Leah whispered, wiping her eyes again. "It isn't fair. This should be hers. You should be hers."

"It's all my fault that she isn't." Leah felt Jacob's hand on hers but couldn't see through her tears. "I'm sorry for going after you when you tried to run. I thought Laban would keep his word."

"That he would be honorable?" She laughed bitterly.

He nodded, and Leah realized they were partners now, whether they liked it or not.

"I was wrong, but I want to make it up to you. To you and to Rachel. So—I have a gift for you."

"You don't have to give me gifts," she said, waving her hands in dismissal. "I'm—I'm not Rachel. I don't need jewelry or flowers or ..."

"It's neither of those. What do you want most in the world?" he asked, standing.

"You can't give me that, so don't even try." Her tone was angry; it spit up at him like oil on hot stones.

But Jacob smiled as he opened the tent flap, gesturing to someone outside. He looked back at her. "Maybe I can."

A shadow in the doorway, and then ... Levi appeared. Her body was frozen in place for what seemed like an eternity. Levi, here. Was she dreaming? Did the one sip of wine she had at the feast cause her senses to dull—was she losing her mind?

He took a step farther and opened his arms to her.

Leah jumped up from the mat and ran to him, throwing her arms around his neck. Their bodies collided together.

"Levi," she whispered, feeling his breath humming inside his chest; his heartbeat, the great thunderclap that woke her from her deep sleep. He wrapped his arms around her and suddenly she was off the floor, her feet swinging around as he twirled her around the room. His lips touched her cheek and she felt his hand stroking her back. But suddenly she pulled back, her excitement giving way to shock.

"How?" She looked to Jacob.

"I decided it was time to beat Laban at his own game," Jacob said, smiling devilishly. "He always taught me that everyone has a price. So I found the slave master's."

"Jacob bought me back," Levi said, looking to Jacob. "And I couldn't think of a master I'd rather dedicate my life to serve, for bringing me back to you."

The men clapped each other on the back, and Leah was flabbergasted. "But how did you have that kind of money, Jacob? Laban hasn't paid you for seven years!"

"Again, Laban taught me everything I know," Jacob said. "I've had some side businesses for a few years now. Even Rachel doesn't know about them. Though, with some new jewelry now and again, she never asked questions."

Levi, sensing that Leah's emotions were almost crushing her, took her hands and guided her to the mat where they sat. He caressed her cheek. Only then did she notice he had bruises on his face: one below his eye, another on his shoulder. He must have tried to fight his captors.

"Jacob waited until Laban was drunk enough and rescued me. He brought me straight to you."

"But will Laban let you stay?" Leah asked, fear clouding her excitement at seeing Levi again. "How will he punish us for this?"

"Do not worry," Levi said, and Leah was taken aback by the lightness in his eyes, where there was usually a serious, thoughtful abyss. "Jacob and I have a plan. After tonight, I'll be in hiding until we can take action. But I had to see you first."

He leaned in to kiss her, but she coughed slightly and motioned her eyes toward Jacob, who was still watching them. Who was her husband.

"Enjoy this night together," Jacob said, grabbing one of his wool blankets from the side of the mat. "I'll make sure no one disrupts you."

"But ..." Leah looked between them and noted how different they were—Jacob tall and dark, Levi broad-shouldered with his longer golden hair. One was the man she was married to, the other was the man that she loved. "We're married."

"Which means we should want each other to be happy. No matter how unconventional that may appear." Jacob nodded his head at Levi and departed.

Leah turned to Levi. His eyes were calm and kind, but she still felt guilty. "I'm so sorry," she whispered, looking down at her feet.

"Ahava sheyli," he whispered, tilting her chin up to his and cupping her face. Beloved. "This is the greatest gift we have ever been given. To be together. It would be within Jacob's rights to keep us apart forever, but he has given us an eternity instead."

"But what if Laban finds you?" Leah asked, climbing onto his lap and inspecting his injuries more attentively. "What if more of this happens?" She gestured to his black eye, but he guided her hand down to his heart and placed it there.

"I would suffer any pain if it meant I could hold you in my arms," Levi said, grasping her more tightly around the waist to emphasize his point. "If I could kiss your lips one last time." He kissed her, tenderly, his tongue just slightly begging for entrance.

"No pain is greater than the hours spent away from you," he whispered, kissing her cheeks and trailing down to her neck. His fingertips circled the sensitive peaks of her breasts through the thin barrier of her night robe. Her temperature rose; her skin shimmered with the dew of evening desire.

Levi leaned her down on the mat and started kissing her body, exploring the soft curves of her stomach and the ridges of her ribcage. His lips teased her, and the torture began: wanting all of him now, right now, inside her, but also wanting the journey to last forever. He kissed the curve of her hipbone before crawling back up the length of her body and pressing himself into her. Her pleas for him to undress her, to take her, were lost on her lips as he slid the hem of her night robe up just slightly. She winced as his fingers brushed one of the more noticeable clusters of stings.

"Turn around," Levi ordered her. Leah rolled on to her stomach so he could see better, gathering one of the pillows to clutch between her hands.

"You're healing," he said, touching each sting on her back and the ones on her neck. "Slowly but surely. It won't be long now."

"Because you take such good care of me," she said, lifting her head and turning it slightly to meet his lips.

They kissed as Levi unfastened her hair from its braid, combing through it with his fingers as he often did. She understood why now—when they were together he wanted her to feel free, unconfined, and beautiful beyond measure. Her skin trembled with every touch as Levi swept her hair to the side, but kept a hand tangled there as his lips and tongue journeyed slowly down her body. As he kissed her through the thin fabric, she felt him steadily gathering the bottom of her hem into his hand and drawing it upward. His pace was temptingly slow, and she felt her hips moving of their own volition. She did not want to question or ask what was coming next. As each moment passed and more of her body was revealed to him, it remained exciting and delicious. Even the torturous part, the waiting.

                                                                                               ***

It's going to get even sexier in the next chapter now that Leah and Levi are reunited!

Pre-order SIN AND HONEY's 2nd novella THE TOUCH OF BETRAYAL (a retelling of Samson and Delilah) now! 

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Touch-Betrayal-SIN-HONEY-novella-ebook/dp/B00ZB2P7VY/ref=sr_1_2?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1435150894&sr=1-2

 iBooks: https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/the-touch-of-betrayal/id1004008868?mt=11

 Join my newsletter for info on contests, giveaways and exclusive VIP content: http://www.tarynscarlett.com/newsletter 

 Follow me on Twitter: TarynScarlett