Night Sky

Alucard stirred beside me in bed. "You are moving around a lot."

"I'm sorry." I apologized. "I can't seem to fall asleep."

"Why? Are you unwell."

"No. I'm fine." I rubbed the glyphs on my arms. "It's the stars keeping me up."

"What do you mean?"

"The stars are awake." I stretched. "So I'm awake. At least that's how it feels." I stepped out of bed. "I'm stepping out on the balcony."

I heard Alucard get out of bed. "Not alone."

"There's no night creatures out."

"Does not mean they won't appear."

The air was chill and cool out on the balcony as we sat together beneath the milky way.

"Beautiful isn't it." I rested my head against Alucard's shoulder.

"Very." The dhampir murmured.

"Did you know that the light from the stars is billions of years old? It takes that amount of time for it to reach us."

"I did not."

"Well. Now ya do." I smiled. "Did you also know that stars are really big flaming gas balls burning billions of miles away?"

"Actually I do." Alucard chuckled. "My father told me."

"I used to fly among them in my old life. They're the same as the sun. Their heat never burned me." I sighed, missing their light. I wonder if I'll ever feel the starlight on my wings ever again.

Alucard smiled beneath the moonlight. "What are you singing?"

I didn't realize I was. "I don't know. A song about hope and starlight. Sometimes songs just come to me, and I don't remember where they're from. I think from beyond our time. I'm sorry I'll stop."

"No." Alucard touched my hand. "Don't stop. Sing to me."

I smirked, singing a song of faith, hope, and wishing on stars.

"You're have the most beautiful voice."

"Thank you." I blushed. "Sorry another song couldn't pop up from my subconscious mind. It's a silly one."

"Not at all." Alucard held my hand. "It was hopeful." We hugged each other before returning to bed. I lingered behind, watching the brilliance of the night sky. The song trailing from my lips.

Like a bolt out of the blue,
Fate steps in and sees you through.
When you wish upon a star,
Your dreams come true

"They already have." I murmured, turning inside. I knew I'd sleep better tonight.