Regina

"What the hell, the stock market is booming, what do you mean that I lost money last quarter?" I yelled at my administrative assistant and long time friend Judy.

"I didn't lose it." Judy said defensively. She continued, "Who is that guy you got doing it? What's his name?"

"Now you know his name."

"Well, I told you, you get a little money and then you run off to the white man to invest your money, why ain't you using a brotha? Naw why ain't you using a sista?" Judy said in her trademark sassy tone.

"I use whoever is best for the job."

Judy laughed, that's why everybody in the country is making money in the market except you, because you use the best person for the job." Judy said.

I made a face at her and said, "Don't you have some work to do?"

"OK, girl, I'm going, but when you look for somebody, remember, find a brotha." She laughed and left the room.

Judy was always aggravating, but often right. And I did need to replace my financial adviser. I didn't really know where to look to find someone. I was relatively new to New York. My computer systems design business was doing pretty well, so I needed someone who could really take care of that aspect of my business.

I tapped on the computer trying to see what jumped out at me in the financial sector when there he was on my computer monitor.

There he was, I couldn't believe it. Still the same fine chocolate brotha I remembered. The former love of my life. The man I knew I was going to spend the rest of my life with. The man who was going to be my King. Frank Howard. Yeah, that asshole who left me high and dry at the alter.

The article spoke of his new financial services firm that was taking off. I thought back about how this was what he always wanted. How we were going to do this together. How he was going to have a financial service firm and I was going to have my computer systems business. We were going to work together to take over the world.

I continued searching on the Internet and found more information about him. I about hit the ceiling when I saw that he had married Becky. Yeah, Becky my damn bridesmaid. The same snake in the grass that lied on me. As soon as I saw him hugged up with her on my computer screen I felt like screaming at the top of my lungs. Hell, it's my company, I can do it. I went ahead and screamed at the top of my lungs.

Yeah, I know it has been ten years and I should be over him, but I never did get over him.

Judy ran into my office and asked, "What's wrong?"

"Come over here and look at this shit." I said.

Judy looked at the screen and glared at the picture of Becky smiling while hugged up with Frank.

"What's this? Why you looking up Frank?"

"I'm looking for a financial adviser and that's what Frank does."

"Don't tell me you thinking about hiring Frank."

I looked at Judy and said, "Well you said hire a black man."

"A black man but not Frank. Naw girl, hire another white guy. Anybody but Frank. This ain't gonna end good." She said.

"I need to talk to him. We never had closure." I said.

"He slammed the damn door in your face, what else you need closed?" Judy said.

I looked at Judy.

Judy shook her head knowing that I was about to set up a meeting.

Judy said, "Just tell me when so I can be there to make sure nothing stupid happens."

Judy walked out the door.

I performed a few more searches and got Frank's office number. I stared at it for a minute or so thinking, what the hell am I doing?

I wasn't sure what my intentions were but I dialed the number.

The phone rang and I thought seriously about hanging up. It had been ten years since I talked to him. He disappeared and there was no way I could get in touch with him after he left me at the alter. Bitterness had overtaken me, but I also wanted to know why.

"Frank Howard's office may I help you." The woman on the line said.

"Yes, I uh." I began to say feeling as timid as a schoolgirl.

I then built up my courage and said. "Hello, My name is Regina Cain. I am a friend, well former friend, of Mr. Howard."

"Yes, how can I help you." The woman said in a slightly irritated tone. I couldn't blame her for being irritated because I was kind of stammering.

"Please, I need to set up an appointment with Mr. Howard to talk about my investment portfolio."

"Approximately, how big is your portfolio?" The woman asked.

From my searching on the internet it appeared that Frank's firm only dealt with multi-million dollar portfolios. Mine was a little over three hundred thousand dollars.

"Two million dollars." I lied.

"Ms. Cain, thank you for your interest in our firm, but Mr. Howard is extremely busy and is not taking on new clients right now. I will take your number and let you know when we are accepting clients." She said.

I felt the call closing and blurted out, "I am his former fiance' and would really appreciate if you let him know I called. I have not talked to him in years, and just want t catch up."

"Catch up?" The woman asked.

"Yes." I said.

The woman said nothing for a few moments and then she said, "OK, I shouldn't be doing this, but I will put you through to his personal answering service line, please leave a message."

"Thank you."

There was a click and then the answering service came on, "Hello, this is Frank Howard, your phone call is important to me, so please leave your name, number, and a message and I will get back to you as soon as I can."

It was Frank's voice. I melted in that I had not heard his voice in years. I was immediately taken back to when he told me he loved me. It was the same voice that asked me to marry him. It was that voice.

I then said, "Hey Frank, this is Regina, I wanted to talk to you. I have a portfolio that is not doing well and I saw your firm on the Internet. It was great to hear your voice again. Regina Cain, you remember. Please give me a call." I then said my phone number.

What the hell was I thinking, and why was I so nervous trying to talk to him.

Two minutes later my phone rang. I answered, "Hello."

"Regina, it is so good to hear your voice." It was amazing to hear Frank Howard say my name again.