"Jaq, Sully just fuckin' came round here," I said and her face dropped, "Him, Junior, Dushane and Kieron came. They was lookin' for you," I said.

"Fuck, we need to leave," She told me, "Where's the baby?"

"With Demario," I said and she kissed her teeth, "Tell me what the fuck is goin' on."

"I'll explain later," Jaq told me.

"What are you talkin' about? Why do we need to leave?" I asked.

"I'm gonna go grab the baby and grab a few bits for him," She said, "Please, just go and get—"

"Jaq, just tell me what the fuck is goin' on!"

"Babe, just go! Get some stuff together!" She said.

"Jaq, I'm scared. What the fuck are you on about?"

"Liyah, I don't have time for this right now," She said, "Please, just go and grab a few bits for a few days. We need to leave now. Now!" She rushed me. "I'm gonna go get the baby from your brothers, be ready in 30 minutes to leave."

She rushed out of the flat and went to get the baby. I quickly belled my brother and told him Jaq was coming, then I packed a duffle bag full of clothes and stuff.

Within thirty minutes, Jaq was back. I stuffed the duffle in the boot of her car and then we left. I looked back and saw how busy the block was and that there was bare bailiffs. "Fuck, can we not stay for the protest?" I asked, "I promised Mandy that I'd come."

"Liyah, what part of 'we need to leave now' do you not understand?" She shouted as she pulled out of the block.

I glared at her, "Don't fuckin' shout at me," I said.

"Sorry," She mumbled.

We drove in silence. We were both angry. I really didn't want to be in Jaq's presence right now and I didn't think she wanted to be in mine either. It was so thick in the car I had to roll down the window slightly. You could cut the tension in the car with a knife.

Suddenly, Jaq pulled over and rolled my window back up. I looked at her and kissed my teeth but she didn't retaliate. We sat in more silence and then she finally spoke. "I done somethin' dumb," She said.

"All right," I replied, "Whatever it is, we'll figure it out." I said, soothingly.

"Nah, there ain't no goin' back from this one," She said, "I'm so sorry I ever got you involved. And now the baby's involved, too."

She sighed and hesitated, "I got 25 kilos in the boot," She admitted, "I stole it from Sully and Dushane, and they know that it was me." Her voice went thick with tears, "And now they're after me. And if they catch me, I'm dead."

My eyes went wide with shock. She didn't want to hear that she fucked up or that she's tapped, right now, but I didn't know exactly what to say. "Jaq.." I whispered. "Why did you steal it?"

"Lauryn died because of this shit!" She snapped, "This shit needs to stop now."

"Well, can't you explain to them?" I asked suddenly panicking, "Or- or, I could! I'll speak to Sully, sort it out and—"

She cut me off, "No, I don't want you anymore involved than you already are!" She snapped, getting pressed.

I narrowed my eyes and glared at her, "When are you going to understand that we're in this together, Jaq?" I asked and she didn't reply, "Your mess is my mess, if you fucked up then I fucked up. I got your back, babe. And I know you got mine. Yeah? I love you."

Jaq didn't reply.

I looked at her. "I'm gonna talk to Sully."

"No!"

"I don't wanna hear it," I said, "I'm going to chat to Sully, I got you. It's gonna be alright, babe."

"I love you, too."

•••

I was going to speak to Sully for Jaq. I know she didn't want to but I wanted to. It's not safe for her. I met him at the number one cafe.

"Are you takin' the fuckin' piss?" He asked, as soon as I entered, "Where's Jaq?" Rude much. How about hello?

"Can I sit?" I asked, calmly. He just looked at me so I sat down.

"What the fuck's goin' on?" He asked me, "Where's Jaq?" He repeated. "Has she still got it?" I nodded, "Every bit of it?"

"Mm," I murmured.

"Don't fuckin' lie to me, man.." He said.

"I wouldn't lie to you," I replied, cutting him off.

"'Course not," He said, "But your girlfriend would steal. Where's Jaq? I want to chat to her myself. Not through you."

"Sully, there's bare shit goin' on in her head since what happened to Lauryn. She isn't mentally fit right now, taking the food was an impulse and, yeah, stupid move but you gotta see where she's coming from," I said, he stayed silent.

"The food is killin' us, Sully," I said, and he shook his head, "She's going to bring the food back."

"Oh, yeah, she will."

"A pass. That's what she needs," I said, "Please, a guarantee."

"Nah, cause I don't trust her no more," He said, "Make sure you tell her that."

"Listen," I said, "Don't hurt her. I'm begging you, please, try to understand what's goin' on right now."

"Aaliyah don't beg," He said, "It's disgustin'."

I looked at him with shock and my nostrils flared.

"Tell her to come here," He instructed, "I want to have this conversation with her not with you. And if she doesn't come, matters will be ten times worse. Cool?" He asked and I didn't reply, "Cool?"

"Cool." I responded and then left the caff.

•••

I'm so ashamed of myself for not uploading sooner. I promise I will get on my zoom and back on my 2/3 day schedule.

anyways hope u enjoyed byeeee

1643 words