Chapter Thirty-Seven

"Well, you're not pregnant, first things first," the doctor said, shuffling papers.

I let out a sigh of relief while Andy pulled me into a tight hug.

"However," he said, his voice becoming flat,"there is another, major, major issue."

Andy's arms dropped and I paled greatly. Andy grabbed my hand and squeezed it tightly, bringing it to his mouth.

"I'm not exactly sure of what is going on, so we will have to run a few more tests to determine exactly what is happening, but it's probably a good bet that you have cancer."

Cancer. That word resounded in my mind. Cancer. I have fucking cancer. Marfan Syndrome wasn't enough, huh?

"What specific cancer, we don't know. We don't even know if you for sure have cancer. The blood work came back with some results that pointed to the possibility. We're going to have to do a CAT scan and some more blood work, along with various other tests. For now, I will leave you with some treatment options to think over, so that if it does come back as positive, we can start right away."

The doctor nodded his head once and walked out after handing some pamphlets to Andy.

We sat there, shocked beyond belief. "Cancer," Andy said slowly.

I felt tears begin to slip down my cheeks as my stomach churned again. I quickly grabbed the nearest trash bin and vomited into it.

"Goddamnit," I sobbed, wiping my face. I looked towards Andy, whose face was streaked with tears.

He pulled me into his chest, my tears staining his shirt with rubbed off makeup. He leaned away from me and wiped my tears.

"Melody, I love you. I want you to know, no matter what, I will be here, right by your side. We're souls mates for a reason. I used to think it was silly that a little design on your skin controlled your entire life, but I'm so glad that it did. I'm so glad Bryan decided to invite you to that stupid beach party of mine, I'm glad that you were there when they did the interview, I'm glad that Adam took you on Warped tour, I'm glad you became a photographer, I'm glad we got matching tattoos, I'm glad you were born, and I'm glad that you're you. You are my Melody, I don't know where I would be without you. I love you so much, and a little thing like this isn't going to change that. We've gone through this twice before, I know we can make it through once again. When you're recovered, if you want, we can move somewhere, you can get your own studio, and we'll have a couple kids if you want. If you don't want kids, then we'll have cats, or dogs, or horses, or whatever it is that you want. I just want to make sure you're happy. You are the most beautiful, strongest, most courageous woman I've ever had the good fortune of knowing, and I know the gods were working in my favor when they matched us." Andy twisted my engagement ring. "This is here because I love you, and this wedding is going to happen, no matter what. I love you."

If I wasn't crying before, I sure was now. I was bawling like a baby. I wrapped my arms around him and held on about as tight as possible. He pressed his lips to my cheek and rocked me back and forth. Brushing my hair out of my face, he kissed my tears away.

Eventually my sobs came to an end and we were left in an extremely uncomfortable and nearly impossible position on a tiny hospital chair, though neither of us made a move to adjust our position.

A nurse knocked on the door and told me it was time for the samples to be taken.

I slowly climbed out of Andy's arms and hugged him tightly, pressing a quick kiss to his cheek, which required the use of my tip toes. The nurse gave me a small smile before leading the way.

I stepped into a large room with a scary looking machine in the middle. I laid down on the bench and shut my eyes as it began moving. I was faintly aware of the doctors telling me to be as still as possible, but all I remember was the panic and the clicking and whirring of the terrifying machine.