Forms of Combat

Form I (Mastered): Form I, also known as Shii-Cho, is the oldest and most basic fighting style. When Form I was developed, ancient practitioners were still transitioning to using metal swords; therefore, Form I movements are not as elegant as later forms. Jedi who train in Form I are taught to be unpredictable and random, and the focus is on moving forward to disarm opponents with angled attacks. Shii-Cho is great for fighting large groups of enemies due to his sweeping moves, but his simplicity leaves him vulnerable to other lightsaber users. Despite the limitations, all Jedi are trained in Form I and are encouraged to call upon its teachings if they are in a tight spot.

Form II (Dominated): Form II, also known as Makashi, was developed to address the weaknesses of Form I. As such, Form II techniques are much more elegant, and Makashi users engage in a fight of swords that make them formidable duelists. There is an emphasis on speed and precision and the movements are similar to real-life fencing, with fighters advancing and retreating in a single line. Instead of relying on slashes and blocks, Makashi users turn their defense into offense with well-timed strikes and light butts. Form II is great for single combat, but bad for defending against firearms and large groups.

Form III (Dominated): Form III, also known as Soresu, was the ultimate defense. It was created to meet the growing use of Blasters. Like Form II, Form III uses tight blades, but breaks the stiff foot back and forth to introduce dodge. Soresu is all about moving the lightsaber and conserving energy to outlast an opponent or wait for them to make a fatal mistake. Jedi training in Soresu can fight multiple or single opponents as long as they remain calm. However, Form III has no offensive maneuvers, as the goal is to overcome the opponent rather than overwhelm.

Form IV (Mastered): Form IV, also known as Ataru, emerged as a style to combat Soresu's offensive deficiencies. The aggressive form is the ideological opposite of its defensive predecessor and combat revolves around extreme speed and powerful swings. Practitioners are taught to be constantly offended and to fuel their bodies with the Force to increase their strength and attack aerially. Fighters can thus overcome limitations such as body size or age. Ataru is the perfect form to face unique opponents, but users get tired quickly.

Form V (Mastered): Form V has two main disciplines, Shien and Djem So. Both were based on counterattacks. Shien revolves around returning blaster shots, while Djem So is centered around returning lightsaber attacks. Defend and then attack is the philosophy of Form V, a clear combination of Form III and Form IV. This combat style requires the greatest physical strength and some questions using Form V, due to its focus on controlling opponents.

Form VI (Dominated): Form VI, also known as Niman, is a combination of the previous five forms into an overall style that has no notable strengths or weaknesses. The more diplomatic or scholarly Jedi used Form VI as the blade work is simple and relaxed. Additionally, Niman incorporates dual blades, which became the gateway to Jar'Kai. To compensate for the simplicity, more serious practitioners were encouraged to be creative with their strategies and to include telekinesis as well as the pulls and pushes of the Force.

Form VII (Mastered): Form VII also had two variants, Juyo and Vaapad. It is the deadly form of lightsaber and as such invites the Dark Side. The Sith favor Juyo, which is one of the reasons they were such powerful warriors. Juyo is an emotional form that invites users to channel their anger and malice to destroy their enemies. Unlike the controlled movements of the other forms, Juyo reverts to Form I, emphasizing chaotic, unpredictable movements that evade the graceful restraint of the Jedi Order. Mace Windu created Vaapad as a way to channel his inner darkness to fight for the Light. Vaapad users constantly use the Force to move at the speed of light and channel their desire to gain new strength.

Jar'Kai (Mastered): Jar'Kai is not a formally recognized lightsaber form, as it simply denotes the practice of using two lightsabers. This is a tricky technique as it requires good coordination to use two lightsabers, but the trade-off is worth it as Jar'Kai masters are great at maintaining an offensive barrage. However, users cannot block or attack with two hands and fighters rely too heavily on two lightsabers. As a result, they are weakened considerably if they lose a lightsaber.