Their eyes locked, and (M/N) realised how furious he was with Shoto. That he didn't believe for a second that his friend didn't see Katsuki's propo. That he felt completely betrayed that Shoto didn't tell him about it. They knew each other too well for Shoto not to read his mood and guess what had caused it.

"(M/N)-" he began. Already the admission of guilt in his tone.

(M/N) grabbed his tray, crossed to the deposit area and slammed the dishes onto the rack. By the time he was in the hallway, Shoto had caught up with him.

"Why didn't you say something?" Shoto asked, taking (M/N)'s arm.

"Why didn't I?" (M/N) jerked his arm free. "Why didn't you, Shoto? And I did, by the way, when I asked you last night about what had been going on!"

"I'm sorry. All right? I didn't know what to do. I wanted to tell you, but everyone was afraid that seeing Katsuki's propo would make you sick," Shoto said.

"They were right. It did. But not quite as sick as you lying to me for Kaina." At that moment, the communicuff started beeping. "There she is. Better run. You have things to tell her."

For a moment, real hurt registered on Shoto's face. Then cold anger replaced it. He turned on his heel and left. Maybe (M/N) had been too spiteful, not given Shoto enough time to explain. Maybe everyone was just trying to protect him by lying to him. He didn't care. He was sick of people lying to him for his own good. Because really it was mostly for their own good. Lie to (M/N) about the rebellion so he doesn't do anything crazy. Send him into the arena without a clue so we can fish him out. Don't tell him about Katsuki's propo because it might make him sick, and it is hard enough to get a decent performance out of him as it is.

(M/N) did feel sick. Heartsick. And too tired for a day of production. But he was already at Remake, so he went in. Today, he discovered, they would be returning to District 12. Ryuko wanted to do unscripted interviews with him and Shoto, throwing light on their demolished city.

"If you're both up for that," Ryuko said, looking closely at (M/N)'s face.

"Count me in," he said. He stood, uncommunicative and stiff, a mannequin, as his prep team dressed him, did his hair and dabbed make-up on his face. Not enough to show, only enough to take the edge off the circles under his sleepless eyes.

Mashirao escorted him down to the Hanger, but they didn't talk beyond a preliminary greeting. (M/N) was grateful to be spared another exchange about his disobedience in 8, especially since Mashirao's mask looked so uncomfortable.

At the last moment, he remembered to send a message to his mother about leaving 13, and stressed that it wouldn't be dangerous. They boarded a hovercraft for the short ride to 12 and he was directed to a seat at a table where Kan, Shoto and Ryuko were poring over a map. Kan was brimming with satisfaction as he showed (M/N) the before and after effects of the first couple of propos. The rebels, who were barely maintaining a foothold in several districts, had rallied. They had actually taken 3 and 11 - the latter so crucial since it was Panem's main food supplier - and had made inroads in several other districts as well.

"Hopeful. Very hopeful indeed," Kan said. "We're going to have the first round of We Remember spots ready tonight, so we can target the individual districts with their dead. Denki's absolutely marvellous."

"It's painful to watch, actually," Ryuko said. "He knew so many of them personally."

"That's what makes it so effective," Kan said. "Straight from the heart. You're all doing so beautifully, Kaina could not be more pleased."

Shoto didn't tell them, then. About (M/N) pretending to not see Katsuki and his anger at their cover-up. But it was too little, too late, because he still couldn't let it go. It didn't matter. Shoto wasn't speaking to him, either.