Part 001

Hi and welcome!

Entering this story, please be aware that it (like my past work) will contain an enemies to lovers, darker story line. if that's your cup of tea as much as it is mine, jump right in! Check in everyday for quick updates, too!!!

Hope you have a fun time here!

//////////

Dark. Everything is dark.

And from the dark, an even darker dark emerges. Like smoke, perhaps shadow, or maybe even living, the darkest dark slithers towards me. Closer, and closer, dark approaches, never seeming to slow or stop.

Soon, it swallows me whole.

/////

I'm startled awake by the violent screeching of the alarm clock. The shadowy silhouettes seep away as I scramble out of a noisy night of sleep. I feel my skin uncomfortably tacky with dry sweat, the thinning fabric of my clothes clinging onto every limb.

Untangling myself from the comforter which somehow feels even heavier than usual, I slam the barely functioning alarm clock until it silences. A tinge of pain stings my palm as I spread back out onto the squeaky mattress, waiting for the sleep to dissolve from my eyes. I hear the soft patter of rain on the thin window above my bed. No wonder everything felt soggy.

Catching myself before I can fall back into unconsciousness, I swallow the sore in my throat. I slump into a crouched sitting position as I peel my thick hair off my forehead. The mattress yelps with every move I make. I want to yelp with every move I make. The side effects of finally getting to scrubbing every inch of grout in both first and second floor bathrooms are intense.

I massage my arm as I crawl out of bed, stumbling to put my glasses on. Heading downstairs in a similar crawl-like fashion, I catch a glimpse of the living room clock on my way to the kitchen. It points to a little over six, though the sun refuses to show itself as it should by now, hidden behind the rainy clouds. Then I notice, today is my eighteenth birthday.

/////

Cracking, rattling, sizzling. I try not to make too much noise so as to not wake anyone, but it is a challenge. Is silently grabbing a pan from off the kitchen cabinet even possible?

On the kitchen counter, I lay out three large plates. Yellow scrambled eggs are scooped onto each of them alongside strips of greasy bacon and two golden toasts before it's carried over to the dining table. Cups of drinks are placed, too—a coffee each next to two plates, an orange juice next to one—but only after the cutlery finds their places on the table as well. The finishing touches of softened butter slices on every toast and extra pepper on one plate of scrabbles are added as footsteps emerge from the living room.

It's ten past seven when Vernon and Petunia Dursley sit in front of their breakfast, like clockwork.

They don't acknowledge me as they eat and clean the mess I've created. Trying more desperately than ever to not be of any disturbance, I carefully collect egg crumbs from the pan onto a small plate. Some bits of bacon are sprinkled as toppings from another pan. Snatching a fork, I hold tightly onto the small plate as I sink to the tiled floor, leaning against the kitchen counters. I pull my legs in, my knees right under my chin. The ground feels cold on my ass.

Down there, I manage to shovel the "food" fast enough to finish before Dudley Dursley comes stomping into the room, before I can lose my appetite. Though no longer any business to stay on the floor, I don't move as I would rather have a cold ass and slightly numb legs than to face Dudley.

As his steps near, I can picture Petunia's face lighting up, as pitifully as it does everyday at the sight of her son. "Good morning, handsome prince. Did you have a good night of sleep?" Petunia says, babying her eighteen year old. Absolutely pitiful.