Chapter Thirty-Four

Start from the beginning

Seven years ago, it was Jessi's engagement, and this year it was my engagement. However, two drastic things happened thirteen years ago. I had to figure out which one was connected to this housing project. I looked at the signing dates for both documents.

The one from seven years ago was signed three days before Jessi's engagement announcement, just like I suspected. It was very obvious what happened in September 2010. It was the reason I couldn't fall asleep alone after almost a decade.

The month I got kidnapped was in September, but it happened towards the end of the month. I remember it being cold because summer had already ended. It didn't match the date of the signing, but there was something else that did.

The death of Andre Callisto.

Jonas' father.

"Lizzy, on what day did Jonas' father die?" I asked.

Lizzy pulled out her phone and did a quick search online.

"14th September 2010," she replied.

"Fucking hell," I gasped. "Those fucking assholes,"

"Sir, is everything alright?"

"How soon can I get the printed copy of these documents?"

"I can get it for you in about two minutes, sir,"

"Good. make it now. I need to go somewhere quickly,"

As soon as Lizzy stepped out, I pulled out my phone to call the Mayor. I knew exactly the kind of man he was because he came to me to sponsor his election. It was obvious he was in the same boat as my father, but he went behind his back to get funds from me.

It was apparent he knew about this deal and had been keeping it from me. My father was right in one thing. You should never trust a politician.

"Mayor Travis, I see you've been having a great time partying with my father and his friends," I said as soon as he picked up.

"Mr Stark," He chuckled. "What a surprising call. I heard about the good news. Sorry, I couldn't congratulate you in time,"

"I just realised today that you have something to do with that Mayor Travis,"

"I-I-I don't understand where you would get that idea from, Mr. Stark,"

He stammered. That means my intuition was right. Mayor Travis was hiding something.

"It'll be in your best interest to tell me all that you know about the future housing project you're about to launch,"

"How did you find out about that?"

"Are you admitting that you were keeping something from me? Did you forget who helped you get online support for your election?"

"That's not what I mean, sir. It's just city council business."

"Last time I checked, I'm supposed to be in the know if you're about to award a contract worth billions of dollars to my father. Now that I know you've betrayed me, do you think your term as mayor will continue?"

"I apologise, sir. It was a mistake on my part,"

"I'll let it slide if you answer my question,"

"Anything, sir. I'll tell you anything you need to know,"

"What does Diana Cruti have to do with this plan?"

"Sir- can you-"

"If you cannot answer in five seconds, you'll be hearing from my lawyers this evening,"