5

5. ( edited )

"Ah, fuck." You mutter softly. Your head feels heavy, with one side numb and swollen. You sit up, holding your head as you slowly open your eyes. Your vision is blurry at first, then clears, revealing the feet of a man standing before you. "Awake?" The man asks, towering over you. You look up to see Mr. Jeon. "W-where am I?" you mumble, groaning from the pain in your head.

It seems you took quite a fall. "In my office," he replies shortly, walking to his desk and leaning against it while you adjust yourself on his velvet couch. "I must've passed out from starvation," you mumble to yourself, though your CEO hears you clearly. He frowns and tilts his head when he hears you well.

"Don't I pay you enough to buy groceries or at least takeout?" he asks sharply, the man was supposed to act like he didn't hear a word but he couldn't keep his mouth zipped up. You sigh deeply. His salary is more than sufficient, even allowing you to save, but that's not the issue, it's a you problem. you've not been eating well due to the loss of appetite.

"It's not about the salary, I just didn't have lunch, dinner yesterday, or breakfast this morning." Jungkook's scowl grows deeper by the end of your words, puzzled why you haven't eaten for so long. He'd in fact noticed you only grabbing a croissant from the café when there are more filling options. And that's the only thing he's seen you carry around, or it's what he assumes.

He wonders if he's overworking you. "And why is that?" He seems to be quite interested in you which is very much unlike him and it honestly amuses you even though you've got that throbbing pain in your head. You rub the most painful spot on your head as you speak; "I've lost my appetite the past few days. but it's funny that you're concerned about me, Mr. Jeon. Are you?"

He snorts at your question, his hip leaves his desk as he moves closer to the couch and takes a seat. "Of course not, I'm concerned about my creative team and my business."

That was an expected answer, of course.

"But you shouldn't skip meals. It's not good for you." "Says the one who only drinks coffee all day," you retort sarcastically, making Jungkook clench his jaw. "Getting quite chatty, Ms. Lee?" You roll your eyes before wincing at the pain. He notices your discomfort as his eyes flicker to your hand that presses the spot where you hit your head. "You should take the day off and rest-" "I'm fine, and I have a presentation to finish," you interrupt, suddenly remembering your project.

You've worked hard on it and can't let Park win! Jungkook walks to his large windows, hands in his pockets. "Firstly, you're not fine, and the meeting is postponed until the creative team is available. It wasn't an official meeting anyway-" "But it's just me. I just need to present my idea."

Jungkook turns to you, now standing from the couch as he sees your wide eyes indicating how desperate you are to finish your presentation. He sighs and looks around his office. "The creative team is busy. Take the day off and rest at home. You'll be paid for a half day-" "Will Jimin take my position?" you ask, eyes growing big and pleading, he looks at them, left to right and then heaves a breath. "No, nothing will be finalized until you present your work."

You sigh in relief, smiling softly. Jungkook turns back to the city view with his palms inside the pockets of his office pants. "You can go, Ms. Lee. Go home." "Can't I just finish my work here?" "No, come back tomorrow. Today, you're excused." You nod, understanding his concern, and head for the door. "Yes, Mr. Jeon, I'll leave now." He nods, glancing at you over his shoulder.

"Get a checkup. You need it." You stop, confused as you raise your eyebrow. 'a checkup?' "I'm fine, Mr. Jeon. I can't afford to spend money on an unnecessary checkup just because I didn't have breakfast." "I suggest you get one just this once-" "I won't waste money on a $250 checkup." Jungkook sighs, rubbing his forehead, questioning why he even bothered.