"He did?" Ajabdeh asked as he nodded affirmatively.

"He cried, the first time since his parents died. He was really in love with Ajabdeh and he left her .... for me..." Pratap seemed troubled.

"No, he didn't leave for you. He left because she was wrong." Ajabdeh was firm as she placed a hand on Pratap's.

"And to top it all, after six months I found her dating another guy already since Jalal left." He let out a sarcastic chuckle. "She cared a damn about Jalal's feelings and used him like a blank cheque. Perks of being rich, we gathered."

"Trust me Pratap when I say this, she never loved him and wouldn't have settled with him anyway. You did the right thing." Ajabdeh meant every word "Don't blame yourself."

"But I... saw him Ajabdeh, ever since then he had not trusted girls nor had he ever dated more than two weeks at a stretch. He was broken. All because of one wrong girl"

"And?" Ajabdeh patted his hand to go on. He didn't know why her touch was soothing; he had never felt it from anyone except Ranima. He shook off the thought.

"Seeing him so weak and vulnerable scared me to death Ajab." He looked up at her eyes. She nodded. "It did. I didn't trust girls anymore, they reminded me of her. And Jalal's sleepless nights, depression, and everything! I have seen love as a weakness since then. One that makes you weaker hurts you and one that takes away a part of you with it when it leaves. Love is unknown to me, I like it that way. If Love was what changed Jalal, I don't ever want it. I fear weaknesses. I never want to feel broken. Or attached. Worse, I almost know for sure anyone liking me will be for my family name and money. "

He stared at her looking down upon her hand on his. She quickly withdrew her hands back on her lap.

"You are right Pratap, it makes you weak, vulnerable, and helpless." She said in a monotonous tone as he frowned. A silence followed as she stared at the distant trees swaying in the breeze.

"What's your reason?" Pratap found a voice as she gave a faint smile. "Baba."

"What?" Pratap's eyes were wide and confused. "Why?"

"I was seven... One day I returned from school and Ms. Gauhar was at my place."

"Ms. Gauhar?" Pratap asked.

"My private tutor." She spoke up. "Seeing me so early startled her. My extra classes in tuition were cancelled. So I returned home in a friend's car."

"And?" Pratap saw her shut her eyes.

"I was a seven-year-old Pratap. She told me that my parents were not home yet and that she had left her watch there the other day. I believed her and went to my room. I stayed there most of the time until Mom came and called me downstairs. I heard a noise of a door shutting. When I came out of the room into the hall, Mom's bedroom was lit. I thought she was home and rushed towards it."

"She was?" Pratap asked, a little confused.

"No, the door was half closed. I peeped in...I....I..." She choked.

"What did you see?" Pratap asked softly.

"I found Baba and Ms. Gauhar. In... In a.... "She shut her eyes again as her hands trembled and Pratap held them both in his, tightly. "My father Pratap." She shivered as he promptly held her in his arms. Ajabdeh stopped shivering in his warmth. She closed her eyes and sighed, placing her forehead on his shoulder, and carefully avoiding a full embrace.

"Hush... it's okay if you want to stop..." He patted her hair lightly. She smelled of lavender shampoo. She quickly withdrew back to her position and tried to compose herself.