Prologue

Updated Trailer as of August 2016  

Author's Note: I'm not going to be editing the chapters that I've uploaded to wattpad in order to fully protect my work.

Also note, this is only a first draft. The final copy of this book is subject to change, and could end up being very different.

Copyright 2015 All Rights Reserved

Warning: Contains some strong language and scenes of violence.

____________________________________________________________

"War does not determine who is right...only who is left." - Bertrand Russell

____________________________________________________________

How far would you go to save your species?

Are you willing to leave everything you've ever known behind for them? Are you willing to fight for them? Kill for them? Die for them?

It's what both sides of this chaotic war are asking themselves. It's what I'm asking myself. What am I referring to? Let me explain.

My name is Rachel Collins. I am 18 years old. The year is 2028, and Earth is experiencing something that no one could have been prepared for: an alien invasion. A lot of popular movies from the past depicted aliens with bright green skin and large black eyes. Their heads might be oversized. Their bodies might be slimy and they may have long tentacles for arms. However, the aliens that invaded us weren't like that. These aliens looked a lot like us.

Everything about them looked very human, the only key differences being their violet eyes. Two years ago, they came to our planet because their race was dying out and only had a few hundred survivors left. Years of constant nuclear war had left their planet, called Kofal, with little life left. So, they came to Earth and wrecked the same nuclear havoc on us.

The aliens started their attacks in France, which led to them being nicknamed the Émigrés. Almost a year went by when suddenly, for whatever reason, the Émigrés stopped their nuclear attacks. They switched to capturing whoever surrendered, and killing whoever resisted. Those of us that were found by them and surrendered were placed into a closed off area of land called the Reserve. Any humans that refused to surrender and escaped being captured or killed now struggle to survive in an area called the Ruins. The humans in the Ruins banded together, and have been working ever since to find a way to take Earth back from the Émigrés.

One year ago, my father left the safety of our home in the Reserve to fight alongside those in the Ruins. He didn't want us to have to live in fear and under alien control. For one year, my family has waited anxiously to hear from him, only to be disappointed day by day.

I'm not going to wait anymore. I'm going to escape the Reserve, and I'm going to find my father.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you enjoyed this, please be sure to vote and/or comment! It would mean a lot to me!

Also please note: If you see a comment from user RhodaRiley, I asked her to critique my book a long time ago. Her honest opinion was requested from me. Please don't comment on her criticism on my writing, as her thoughts are what I wanted and asked for. Thank you!