Chapter 20 - A future together...

Start from the beginning

A holographic lynx appeared from the hand-held device the princess held, her form glitched a couple of times before she responded with a confirmation to the chipmunk's request and then she disappeared.

Rotor: "I say this is something to celebrate. We ought to tell everyone that they no longer have to hide!"

The group turned to their walrus friend; most with joy at the thought of the long torture being over; others with shock, as it was hard for them to process what happened and what would happen. None of them knew what to do exactly, but one thing was sure, they no longer had to fear robotisization, persecution from SWAT bots or any other horrendous thing they had to endure during their life.

Tails: "Then come on, let's return to Knothole and celebrate!"

Spinning his tails, the two-tailed fox propelled himself in the air, although he did take a few seconds to stabilise himself, as he was still unused to using his tails to fly. His friends watched him with wide smiles, before starting to make their way back to the hidden village, which had served them as a safe haven during the war.

All of them left, except for the blue hedgehog. The wind ruffled his already matted quills, but his form did not move, his eyes too focused on the wreckage in front of him. This did not go unnoticed by the brown chipmunk, who walked back to his side with reassuring eyes. Cautiously, she placed her hand on the blue hedgehog's shoulder in an attempt to snap him out of his trance-like state. Sonics fur stood on ends at the touch and he flinched slightly, his head whipped in her direction with wide eyes, but he quickly calmed down once he saw who it was; his body relaxed and he let out a soft sigh, bringing one of his hands to hold the chipmunks, yet his eyes deceived him by still holding that distant and doubtful look. The princess knew the hedgehog for quite some time and seeing him act like this was not something to brush off.

Sally: "Sonic? Are you ok?"

Her voice was soft, yet it was clear she was worried for the speedster, this not being the first time the hedgehog did this. Averting his eyes, the speedster let out a soft sigh, while gently gripping the princess's hand.

Sonic: "It's...it's nothing, Sal, just... nothing"

Shaking her head, Sally took a few steps forward to stand in front of the blue hedgehog's line of vision, her hands took hold of both of his hands and she clasped her hands over his own. She had a determined look in her eyes and fire raged in them, yet her actions were soft and calm.

Sally: "Sonic... tell me the truth, what are you thinking about?"

A chuckle came from the male, who merely looked into the princess's eyes, his emerald green ones staring deep into her azure blue ones; he found it funny how well she knew him and when he was lying. After some time, the blue hedgehog shook his head and looked behind the chipmunk, back at the wreckage.

Sonic: "It's just...it's nothing important, I promise...it's stupid anyways"

He sounded unsure, something was on his mind, but it was hard for him to put it into words. Something was not right, he could feel it...it wasn't over yet, the war wasn't over. The speedster didn't even realize he zoned out again until he heard the chipmunk's voice again, whispering something to him playfully.

Sally: "Is it more stupid than us dating?"

Blinking a couple of times, Sonic looked back at the princess with bewilderedness and wide eyes. He raised his eyebrows and tilted his head in a challenging way before he let go of the girl and turned around. This made the princess chuckle as she looked at the hedgehog, who was slowly walking away from her.

Sally: "Wait! I didn't mean it, it was only a joke!"

Stopping and turning his head around, the male raised one of his eye-ridges and pressed his lips into a thin line making him appear angry, but his eyes once more deceived him, as playfulness shined in them.