☆ chapter four ☆

(LUKA'S POV)

Nervous would be an understatement. I could feel my heart pounding against my ribcage at a million beats per second. An excited kind of fear, I think.

"Just pretend we're back on the boat performing for your mom. It's just like rehearsal." Adrien put a comforting hand on my shoulder.

"Yeah. Just like rehearsal." I repeated. 'Except it isn't' I thought to myself. I had no issues singing in front of whoever, so it should have been fine. I think part of me wanted things to be perfect for her. Y/N. Her hopes were so high and I had no doubt she would pick up on some not-so-subtle nods to her in the set. Which wasn't exactly comforting.

"Let's go, they're getting antsy out there." Ivan suggested. He opened the door and we all shuffled out, buzzing with energy.

"You got this." Juleka whispered to me just before stepping on stage. The crowd roared with applause as we grabbed our instruments and I made my way to the mic. The spotlights weren't yet up, but I knew the whole crowd could see me. I drew a shaky breath, looking down at my feet. My eyes drifted up ever so slightly and I located Y/N. She was standing front and center alongside Alya, Marinette, and Nino. She beamed at me, her eyes twinkling. 'Go get em' she mouthed to me. I smiled back at her, ever grateful to have her support. I finally raised my gaze to face the crowd. I took a deep breath, and everything happened all at once.

(Y/N'S POV)

(It Was Always You): A dramatic red light flooded the stage as the song began. The eerie intro to It Was Always You got the crowd excited as Luka sang into the mic, unaccompanied at first. I got chills with each slow drum beat, sending shivers down my spine. I had listened to this song about a million times, but hearing Luka's smooth voice sing the words made it feel a million times more real.

For my whole life, we never crossed the line

Only friends in my mind but now I realize

It was always you

'God, if only' I thought as the lights came up and the chorus blared. A pit formed in my stomach. Not the bad kind of pit, more like a heavy fluttery sensation. Nino hugged on to my arm at some point, shouting excitedly about something or other, but all I could see was Luka. When the song ended, the crowd roared at a deafening volume even for a smaller concert. Luka beamed, the spotlights making the sparkles on his face twinkle as the corners of his mouth turned upwards.

"Hey," Luka spoke into the mic, making everyone go wild at one simple word. "How are you guys tonight? Feeling good?" He checked in with the crowd, laughing when they roared back. "Perfect, perfect." He took a sip of his water. "I'm so excited to be here tonight, you don't even know." He ran his hands through his hair; a nervous habit. "So thank you all, really." The crowd yelled back their own thanks, and Luka's eyes flitted down to mine for a second. "This next song is by a band that I really love. They're one of my best friend's favorite bands, and I'm sure you all know this one. This is Lonely Eyes."

(Lonely Eyes): My heart did a backflip out of excitement. Luka's direct eye contact was causing my face to heat up. He winked at me before looking elsewhere.

You've got me stuck to where I'm sittin'

Looking at your eyes

And I know I'm so pathetic

I wouldn't move to save my life

I had forced Luka to come to a Front Bottoms concert like a week after we first met. He hadn't heard of them until then. And now here he was, playing this song in concert. My favorite song of theirs. And he knew that.