The Alpha's Daughter - Chapter 34

Start from the beginning

I wasn’t sure for how long I sat there, just waiting for some sign that everyone was safe. Everyone had purposely locked me out of their heads, so there was no chance of me finding out what was going on in their minds.

And I didn’t like it.

Sierra left the room to check on Max, which left me with Georgie, the Incredible Grump. Don’t get me wrong; she was okay, but her mood swings were seriously starting to annoy me. I was the pregnant one here, and I’m sure my mood was more stable than hers.

God, I hoped so…

“Any time now,” she murmured, staring at the window. “They’ll be in any time now.” I didn’t even want to know how she knew that. Instead, I looked at the wall opposite, trying desperately not to think about Cal bleeding to death in the driveway.

Sierra shrieked in the hallway, a cold blast of air shooting through the house. I swallowed, my eyes shut as I willed myself to think positively.

But where the hell was positivity going to get you when the person you loved was getting ripped to shreds?

Shakily, I got to my feet and made my way to the door, only to be knocked backwards by Ade and Jase carrying in a lifeless body. I swear to God that my heart stopped as I tried to work out who it was. But it was difficult; they were bleeding quite a bit, their face completely torn up.

Don’t let it be Cal, I prayed to no-one in particular, please, please don’t let it be Cal.

Radleigh staggered into the room, his chest bleeding and his eyes sliding in and out of focus. His beautiful red hair had been stained darker by blood, his cheeks pale.

“Radleigh,” I choked, stumbling over to him, pushing him onto the sofa. He stared at me like it was the first time we had meant, a blank expression in his normally bright eyes. Each breath he drew rattled, and he winced, rubbing at the slash marks on his chest with disinterest.

I picked up one of the dressings from the floor, ripping open the packaging and pressing it to the worst mangled area. Radleigh hissed through his teeth as I put pressure on it.

Sorry, Radders, I mumbled, trying to clean away some of the blood.

“Don’t…call…me…Radders,” he rasped. I laughed hollowly, continuing to clean away the tattered skin of my brother’s chest. It started to become a game; if I managed to clean Radleigh’s wounds without stopping, even pausing, Cal would be okay. And if I did stop, it meant that I was going to have to raise this child on my-

I didn’t even want to think about the rest of the sentence, or the reality that it held with it. Cal needed to be okay, he just had to.

It’s Macca, Radleigh told me, nodding at the body. I felt the breath catch in my chest as I swivelled my head to look. Georgie was cradling his head, sobbing. I didn’t know how I hadn’t heard her before; perhaps I had been too wrapped up in tending to Radleigh.

Macca was dead.

“I’m pregnant,” Georgie wept, her tears dripping onto his face. “I’m having your baby, Macca.” She stroked the hair out of his face, begging him to open his eyes.

Suddenly, it was me who was blinking back tears, my eyes stinging as I realised that Georgie was in exactly the same position that I had begged not to be. She was going to have to bring up her dead mate’s baby, have to look at it every day knowing that it would never know its father.

I thought she couldn’t have kids, Radleigh shot into the room. I sighed, rubbing my face. What was Cal going to say? His brother was dead, and it was all down to me. Oh God, Georgie. All that time we had thought she was just moody, and she had been pregnant.