MISSION x ABORTED

Start from the beginning

"Go on, let it out." I heard a man say, no doubt referring to Kira's demon. "Heal yourself, so we can have more fun, Sweetheart."

Sweetheart? 

Who was he to call her "Sweetheart"? Kira was mine and only I had the right to use that name. I didn't like to share my toys. 

But right now, what choice did I have? I was a bit preoccupied with the task at hand. In fifteen minutes, Rico Ritz would step out of those doors and I had to kill him. If I wanted to earn Chrollo's trust, I couldn't afford to fail this mission. Kira would have to wait. A few more minutes won't hurt. 

My thoughts were interrupted when I heard a sickening crack, followed by a gasp of pain. What were they doing to her?

"There goes your right arm," the man remarked, his voice laced with fake sympathy, sickly sweet and irritating. "I'd take your left arm next but I'm worried you won't be able to feel it over the effects of the poison. What do you think?"

She was poisoned. Her breaths were heavy and uneven. "Why don't you try it?" She managed to force out in a weak voice. "I'd love to find out..."

She let out a strangled cry, cutting herself off mid sentence. Someone had hit her.

"Talk back again and see what happens," another man threatened. 

"Axel, don't be so harsh on Kira. I asked for her opinion and she simply voiced it." 

Axel. Now what was the name of the other one? Even though I couldn't hurt them now, I needed their names. For research purposes, of course. 

"She's in no position to have an opinion," Axel replied spitefully. "I'm only teaching her to respect her elders."

"Because she managed to knife you? That's your own incompetence."

She had managed to land a hit during a one on two fight? And against trained Mafia assassins, no less. That's my girl. 

"Shut up, Zyan."

Zyan ignored him and spoke directly to Kira. "Sweetheart, did that hurt? Why don't you just heal the damage?"

"Get your hands off me," she hissed in defiance. But he was right. She had to use the demon or she might not survive.

I continued to listen as they carried on with the torture. In between Kira's agonising cries, I could hear the taunts, relentlessly demanding her to let the demon out. As much as I hated those two men, I agreed with them. Let it out, Kira. 

But despite the pain they were inflicting on her, she refused to give in. Her screams had gotten louder, to the point where her voice broke. And yet, her voice was still her own, with no sign that the demon had taken over. 

What are you doing? Let it out!

For the first time, I felt a hint of panic. At this rate, Kira could actually die. I couldn't afford for that to happen. But at the same time, I had to complete my mission. 

Why isn't she using her demon? 

I didn't want to lose her, at least not yet. But saving her could mean losing the chance to fight Chrollo. Was she worth it?

Suddenly, her cries ceased. "What's this?" One of the men asked. "You have a tracker on you?"

They didn't give her a chance to reply before hurting her again. She inhaled sharply but said nothing. 

My eyes widened. Had they realised that her phone was a tracker? Kira didn't know about it. If they interrogated her, she would have no answers to give. They would never believe it and might actually kill her.