"I'm confident I'll kill you right away if you do anything stupid."

"I shouldn't do it because I want to live. Then, Maid, excuse me for a moment."

I bit my lip for nothing as I felt Richard's long fingers loosen the string behind my back.

I was nervous for no reason.

The touch of loosening the string was itchy, so I shrunk for no reason. Richard smiled slightly behind my back and whispered low and said that it was okay.

Finally, the string was loosened and cold air touched my shoulder.

I looked back at Richard, fiddling with my shriveled shoulders.

"Is this enough?"

Richard stared at my shoulder.

It could be embarrassing, but when I saw his stiff expression, such feelings flew away.

"...What's wrong?"

Richard blinked slowly, took his eyes off my shoulders and shook his head.

And then I closed my clothes again and tied the string.

"You know what? Devil worshipers put a brand on them."

"...Why is that?"

"With the will to become the devil's wings, they engraved a brand with an iron near the wing bones."

What do you mean by devil worshipers? Why are we talking about this?

What does that have to do with me?

I recalled the memories of the devil worshipers.

Strangely enough, it was a novel I had read a long time ago, but the information quickly came to mind.

The beings who bring disaster to the empire by trying to get rid of the transcendental.

Because of them, I remember that crises often came in the novel.

"To be honest, I thought the maid might be a devil worshipper."

"An innocent person like me?"

"...Innocent. Well. Let's say it like that."

The answer is kind of vague.

"But to be honest, I was surprised that there was no stigma."

"—Unexpectedly. If there was a stigma in the first place, I wouldn't have shown it to you."