Chapter 9

"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love."

- Marcus Aurelius

Candice POV

Dream

I was walking down the dark hallways of the compound alone, it was quiet, and no one was around. I walked through countless of hallways absentmindedly but couldn't shake off the feeling that someone was following me. I looked over my shoulder, but no one was there.

"Get it together, Candice. No one is there." I told myself. I kept walking, the loud music died down and it felt as if I was walking in circles, this place was like a maze. It was pitch black, no lights were lit, and you couldn't even see your own feet. I kept walking and walking but I never found anyone, it was like I was all alone. No sound was heard accept from my own breathing. Where the hell was everyone? I thought to myself, now scared.

Suddenly, I heard loud steps coming towards me. The sound came closer and closer, and as the person rounded the corner I froze. My breath caught in my throat and my eyes were wide.

"You think you can hide from me? You know I will always find you, Candice. I told you to stay in Candor, but you disobeyed me so now you'll have to pay. I will kill you!" Michael, the devil spawn. How did he get here? But before I had time to process what was happening, he launched at me, and I screamed.

"AAAAGGHH!!!" I screamed, my entire body soaked in sweat and my breathing was rapid. Due to my screaming and teary eyes, I hadn't notice Eric running in to the bedroom and cradle me.

"Shh it's alright, it was just a dream." He smoothed my hair, and I buried my face into his chest, trying to hide my tears.

"It's alright, Candice. Do you want to talk about it?" I just shook my head, trying to silence my sobs. I was embarrassed but mostly afraid, I didn't want Eric to found out about Michael. I needed to get away before he asked questions.

"I'm fine. Like you said it was just a dream." My voice was shaky from all the crying. Eric was still holding me, but I wouldn't dare look at him. He noticed and put his hand under my chin and lifted it up so our eyes would meet.

"What was the dream about?" His voice was calm and gentle.

"I don't want to talk about it, I should go. Thanks for letting me stay here, but I should really go before the rest of the compound wakes up." I wiggled out of his embrace and stood up, already missing his warmth. I didn't look at him I just went looking for my clothes so I could put them on and get away from there.

"You should take a shower before you go."

"Are you sure? I can always take one back in the dorm room."

"No, go ahead."

"Okay, thanks." I took my clothes and walked into the bathroom, pulled of my shirt, and jumped into the shower. As soon as the warm water hit me I sighed, it felt so good. It was like all my worries washed away down the drain and I felt relaxed. I took some of his shampoo and shower cream and applied it on my body and hair, it smelt just like him.

I stepped out of the shower and dried my hair before I put on my clothes from yesterday. I went out of the bathroom, laid his shirt on his bed, and walked out to the living room where Eric was sitting.

"I should go before people start getting ideas. Don't want them to think I just walked down some walk of shame or anything." I explained dramatically.

"Yeah, I will walk you there." He stood up and walked to the door.

"That's okay, I can find my way back on my own."

"That wasn't an offer, initiative. Now, let's go." His sudden change in character surprised me and I had to bite my tongue in order to not say something I later would regret. Instead, I stepped out of the apartment before him to let him lock the door before we both started walking back to the dorm room. The walk back was quiet, too quiet for my taste, but I didn't want to upset him. We didn't encounter anyone which was good and before I knew it we were at my dorm room.

"Thanks again for everything, for letting me stay at your place."

"No problem but like I said, don't make it a habit. Now go inside before someone wakes up, and you should get some more sleep."

"Bye Eric." He nodded and walked away, leaving me to my own thoughts. I tiptoed to my bed, pulled of my dress, and put on a t-shirt instead before I crawled down my bed. The bed was uncomfortable in contrast to Erics' bed. I signed and closed my eyes, grateful that everyone else was asleep as well, or so I thought.