Chapter 24 No safe night

Zital's POV

After several very long minutes I end up phasing out what the girls say to each other. I stop caring and when the food arrives I just eat in silence. My mind becomes far too focused on the overstimulating dance area and the panda decorated restaurant half of the building. This place really looks like a mix of cultures with the night club feel and the calm restaurant decor.

A strange shadowy feel that flickers nearby is the only thing I sense astray since Imno's disappearance. Only after everyone has finished their food is when Alex's concern shows. Imno's order goes untouched.

"I'm going to check on my brother." Says the purple eyed bat girl before she stands up and walks away. It's not hard for me to imagine them being siblings with their raven hair and the lavender spirals that replace their pupils.

I've only heard myths about their brother Arvin, the demonic warrior son of Nava goddess of pain and Zincn god of the underworld. Based on the stories I can only assume the types of magic Alex can possess. Imno has already shown to be rather basic with magic despite being a god and claiming to be a archmage. I wonder if he stopped keeping up with his studies and became weak. I haven't seen any show of true god power from him. He'd probably be able to settle everything in two days at most. The assassins, the danger Cora apparently holds in herself, the magic item we are apparently here for. He might be making everything one big show. But why?

The air shifts. My ears perk up to alertness. I grab Cora's hand and turn to her. "We should leave. Let's head to the streets. The guards will recognize me." I say to her.
"Why?" She asks. She's probably asking more how they'd recognize me. I pull a small symbol from my pocket. A necklace with a white fox running around a sun. The holy symbol of Jacer.
"Im a squire to your family but also a follower to the god that gifted me life. We are in the sun dynasty. They would recognize me as a acolyte. Now let's go." I get up and pull her chair out for her.

As fast as we can look normal I walk away with one hand holding her's at all times. We don't wave goodbye to the workers or call any attention to ourselves. I just focus on getting us to the streets. Hopefully being in a open public area can save us from having to fight anyone today. The demigod (or whatever she is) and her brother can handle whatever made them disappear. My task is to keep Cora safe.

The moonlight and street lamps shed a dim light over the city as we step out the doors.
"I forgot the only places open are night bars. Fucking damn it!"
"What are we going to do then? Can you prey or use magic or something?" Cora suggests.
"I don't know if Luid will answer me but as a kitsune I hope he grants us protection." I answer her.
"What's gotten you so spooked? Is the assassin here?" She asks.
"I don't know but I have a bad feeling." I say to her and look around. "Come on, let's go to a nearby church. They are always open." I keep my grasp on her hand tight as I start off again.

Quietly chanting a small prayer of protection and guidance the entire time, we walk down the street and turn left. Slowly working our way to the temple in the distance. It's only 7 streets away from where we started but I don't dare cut between buildings by leaving the light. My chanting continues and Cora just follows obediently and silent.

We approach the doors of the building of worship and I finish my prayer with a 'thank you' to the two fox gods. Cora knocks on the door and after two minutes of nervous tail flicking the door opens. A young white cloaked woman wearing a wooden animal mask peeks her head out. I grab the amulet from my pocket again and show the nun. Cora keeps her eyes down and closed.

"I am a squire and acolyte of Jacer. We are searching for a place to hide. I sense a evil is following us." They seem to instantly understand and they open the door for us but it's not like it would be a challenge to get inside anyway.
"Thank you." Cora whispers to them.