Chapter 13 - Trying to cope.

I trudged down the stairs as my sneakers pounded on the rickety wood. The sound of drills and thumping on walls sounded as I got closer. Tris slipped his goggles off his eyes and hung them around his neck as I walked in. He turned the switch on his saw and set it on the table, wiping his hands off. 

"How is it coming?" I asked looking around at their studio.

"Slowly," he said with a huff, stretching his arms. 

I laughed and ran my hand along the wood. "What are you making?" I questioned.

"A desk or I'm at least trying to make one, it's not working so well."

I nodded and picked up a sheet of sandpaper, grabbing a pair of goggles off the ground. "I'll fix it." 

I slowly moved the sandpaper along the ridge of the wood and scraped down the side. I made a few more stroked before Tristan shook his head in a disappointed manner. "You need to round it more, not so fast either, watch like this," he placed his hands on top of mine, his hips colliding into my back.  

He moved my hands patiently along the grain. He guided the paper around the corners of the wood carefully. He stopped moving and lingered awhile, his body making the cold of the basement less evident. I tensed as he slowly moved his hands back by his sides. 

"Banana," Tris spoke, his voice quiet and soft.

I turned to him and took his hands, a grin growing on my face. "Yes?" I answered.

"Please tell me that you won't ever just give up."

I knitted my eyebrows together "W-What? Where did that come from?" I asked backing away from Tristan.

He shrugged placing his hands on the back of my arms, pulling me towards him. "I just don't want to lose you."

I knew he was trying to bring up the subject of my father lightly, but it hit me like a bus. I know my father didn't care about us but I did care for him and his death didn't sit well with me. 

I remember my mom had a patient who she tried to help but some people can't be helped. She would always talk about how she even prescribed medication to the girl but she wouldn't take it. People who don't want help are the ones that need it the most, my father was a prime example. 

"Tris, I'm not going to kill myself!" I exclaimed pulling away from his reach. 

"I know Annalise! I just worry about you goddammit!" he yelled backing away from me, noticing my tension.

He never used my full name and I could see the anger in his eyes as he scrunched his eyebrows together. "Y-You just didn't really grieve for very long, and your mom said that the grieving process-" he started. 

"Are you really trying to cure me or something Tristan?" I questioned placing a hand on my forehead. 

He ran a hand through his disheveled hair "Please, just let me help you Anna," he begged, softly taking my hands in his. 

We were still spaced apart but his hands wrapped around me, pulling me close. I rested my head on his shoulder, taking a deep breath as he ran his hands along my spine. 

"Please," he repeated, running his hands through my hair, working out the curls. I reached a hand up and fisted his blonde lock. He left a small kiss on my neck, lingering his lips on my collar bone. "Let me help."

~

Tristan POV

I clutched my jacket as I opened James' bedroom door. I heard Brad's voice as I entered the darkly colored room. Brad turned to me as I fell into a arm chair by his desk.

"Speaking of Annalise," Brad said smirking and crossing his arms over his chest.

I raised an eyebrow at his hateful comment. "Pardon?"

"Yeah Tris, you're real close with Anna aren't you?" Brad pushed further, his smirk growing.

"Well, I've been real close with her for the past couple of years, why?" I questioned throwing my coat on the floor and leaning forward in my chair. 

Brad nodded at my response "Don't expect anything," Brad answered coldly.

I turned to James who was uncomfortably sitting on his bed, flipping through something on his phone. 

"I wasn't expecting anything," I answered reaching for my jacket, ready to leave his presence.

"Well," Brad started, leaning closer to me in his chair "Nothing will ever be enough for her," he spat.

"I took her on a nice date," Brad continued "I got her a house for god's sake! But even then it's not enough for her."

I sucked in some air before grabbing my coat off the floor. I turned to leave but not before I responded by saying "Anna doesn't like you because you're an ass."

A/N: Okay, this story is coming to an end. I promise there will be no sequel. But I will be making a new fanfic or updating My, how the tables have turned. xx