Ch 8 | The First Signs

Start from the beginning

I jumped slightly when an unknown presence flopped on the seat across from me at the Hufflepuff table, interrupting my heartfelt thoughts.

"His favorite candy is Fizzing Whizzbees."

The parchment letter in my hand folded in seconds, hiding away any writing and I stared up, almost shocked by the view.

"Isabel?" I said, almost in confusion.

I looked around the Great Hall, assuring that this wasn't some type of prank she was about to pull on me with her friends, but the study hall was nearly empty with students studying late.

Her dark eyes stared and if I were to look closely, the left one almost twitched as she cleared her throat.

"Oh, don't act so innocent, Y/l/n," Isabel nearly rolled her eyes, "You aren't going to be the new fifth year forever."

I blinked at her words, "I am fully aware of that, Isabel. It's been two years. We are in seventh—"

"Oh, you know what I mean." Isabel scolded.

I didn't interact much with Isabel Prewett. Besides the fact that Sebastian Sallow allegedly fancied her and she ruined my chances of ever speaking with Garreth fifth year; when sixth year came around, it stopped. She had already won over Garreth Weasley and we never spoke again. I was too busy mopping over deaths and losses.

Until now, apparently.

"I honestly don't," I said, still lost.

"Oh, please. Everybody knows how much you fancied my ex-boyfriend in fifth year."

I reddened, taken aback at Isabel Prewett's commentary, and parted my mouth, "I, uh..."

"All of a sudden, words come out Garreth and I broke up and your social skills rise up again." Isabel noticed.

"What are you implying? I am sorry about your breakup, but I really don't see how this is any of my business." I spoke in honesty.

"Oh, Merlin!" Isabel let out in sarcasm, "You know just because you're a Hufflepuff, your little innocent card isn't always going to work. I see you speak to him in Potions. I saw you in his Quidditch game last month."

It was partially true. To distract my mind from the Sebastian sadness, Garreth Weasley once encouraged me to stand by the Quidditch game of Gryffindor vs. Ravenclaw in mid-October. Plus, I wanted to see Natty and Samantha play against each other.

"Am I not allowed to support my friends?"

Isabel ignored my defending sentences and shrugged, "Don't get too confident, Y/l/n. He is only on speaking terms with you this year because I left him over the summer."

I tried not to let her words hurt. They weren't supposed to hurt. I predicted Isabel Prewett was jealous....of me? It felt rare.

"Isabel, I promise you, I have no intentions with Garreth—"

"You did the fifth year."

"That was fifth year and—"

"What makes me think you won't do it again, considering now...Sallow isn't around either." Isabel pinpointed.

My body stiffened at the mention of Sebastian Sallow and my throat closed a little, not wanting to let it get to me. Isabel didn't know anything, so to peek over it would give it away.

"He wasn't around sixth year. What difference is this making, Prewett?" I frowned.

"The difference is that you're the second option. Your little-known magic isn't going to get his attention forever." Isabel spat.