Chapter Thirty-Seven: Red String

These are the times where I would love to hit the slow motion button in the movies where a car door opens and a high heel clad foot suddenly steps out, followed by a dramatic exiting from the vehicle where there's a bunch of wind effects and the protagonist slowly removes her sunglasses.

Right now, that was me. I look so freaking badass!

Adam lifted a hand and brought me to reality with a light chop on the head. Giving him a dirty look, he clicked his tongue with an amused expression, "Focus, Soph."

I fed the meter enough money so that I was assured that my car wasn't going to get towed anytime soon. We entered the small bridal shop and the woman by the desk looked up from her computer.

"Welcome," she greeted.

"Valentine," I said, before she nodded as she tapped on her computer.

"Please take a seat, Miss Dean would be right out."

As we sat on the plush chairs, Macy emerged from the back and plopped down a think envelope, before sitting in front of us, "Alright, time to get to business."

"We're so sorry for troubling you," I apologized.

She shook her head, giving a halfhearted shrug, "It's not the first time for us, and it certainly won't be the last."

Frowning, I tried to swallow the guilt inside my chest and focused on reading the fine prints on the papers.

"It's just sad to see couples break up," she breathed out with a deep sigh, "But I guess, our red string of fate gets so tangled up with other people's that we usually don't make the effort to find the other end."

I blinked up at her and silently agreed. Please, my dad gives up halfway with a tangled up pair of earphones, how much more about this situation.

Please dad, I don't want to hate you. I want to you to save yourself and get rid of Kate, please find the real end of your string.

Macy slid a piece of paper with an amount written on it, "This is the cancelation fee."

Reaching into my bag, I took out my checkbook and signed it, writing the necessary information with it. I've spent too much goddamn money for this, I've had enough with playing around.

The process was actually quick, just a few paper signing and payment. Once we were done, Macy bid me farewell and we went out.

"Do you believe in the red string of fate?" I questioned Adam as we got inside my car.

Shrugging, he strapped on his seatbelt as I did the same, "It doesn't really matter if I believe it or not, if you fall for a person, you wouldn't exactly know if you two were bound by an invisible string."

"I think my parents should really go searching for the other side of their string," I said out loud, driving into the streets, "I've had enough of watching this."

"You might never know, your mom and dad may be the two connecting ends of each other's strings."

"Impossible," I scoffed, keeping my eyes on the road, "You saw what happened to them, how many times have I asked one of them to drive me to your house just so they could cool down and so I could escape their fights?"

He was silent for a moment, before answering, "Maybe they just got tangled up with other people."

"The minute you say the majestic 'L' word to a person, it's sure that things will go downhill," I said, my tone a bit bitter than what I intended it to be.

"Is that the reason why you wouldn't say it to him?" he inquired, referring to Axel.

My grip on the steering wheel tightened and I growled under my breath, "We're not having this conversation."