Original Part 3

Začít od začátku

"Would anyone else like some crushed pepper with their meal?" You asked as you finally looked up and looked out over the rest of the family who had gathered opposite you to eat their own dinner and watch you as you finally made eye contact with them again. The ones who had been critical before were now eyeing you curiously if not very apologetically themselves before they all nodded yes and you nodded back before you reached into your food satchel again, pulling out more peppers and spices and your pestle and mortar and began to crush it all together. The warchieftess looked offended that you had seemed to be holding out from her but a firm hand on her arm by Crowthu himself and a dirty warning glare kept her right where she was- to protect you- was all that was needed. Once you were done, you gave Arob the first taste, dipping the roasted horse into it and offering it to her respectfully, since she was clearly the only elder present, her status as former warchieftess and mother to the current warchief made her the highest ranking person there, even if she was a woman, which she was greatly pleased with.

"What does it lack My Lady?" You asked her respectfully, not wanting to use her name just yet, not unless she corrected you to use her name as she chewed and was blown away by the taste and the explosion of flavors in her mouth.

"Nothing, and call me Mama Arob, Peaches, I said you were home, no need for that formality here." She answered reassuringly and soothingly rubbed your back affectionately before you nodded in understanding but you could practically feel the hostility rolling off of Yotul and you had never felt further from home, you were an unwelcome guest at best- a scourge and a pest at worst, there was no way Yotul would ever let you feel at home. So then you tasted it yourself, looking into the mortar and tilting your head as you considered the flavor of it all before you reached back into your bag and produced an orange before you crushed the insides by rolling it on the floor before you cut it in half and juiced it into the mortar and pounded that into it before you did it again, the warchief's family continuing to watch you curiously before you repeated the process, Arob literally moaned when she tasted it again before you used the pestle to get some of the spiced sauce onto your own shared roast as the whole family seemed to quickly stand up and come over to you from their spots on the cushions other side of the large fire in the middle of the tent.

"Oh! I would have come over there..." You tried to say as you tried to find your feet but Arob gently stopped you with her hand coming to touch your arm and softly moved you to sit down again as Crowthu sat on the other side of you protectively while his wife sat on the other side of him as you offered him the mortar before he used the pestle to get some of it out over his own roast before his wife took it and got it before she handed it to all her sons who were now behind you, Zorroku and Nar literally pushed each other to try to sit directly behind you but had to split the space so that all you had to do was turn your head to the left and you could see Nar behind your left shoulder while Zorroku was behind your right, all of them making the same moaning keens the old woman had made which made you happy that they obviously liked it, Mama Arob and her son smiling at each other at the sight of your shy smile to yourself.

"What will you need to do this again?" Crowthu asked, happy and pleased at how much you were already improving things despite his wife nearly ruining it all.

"A garden, this fruit grows on a tree that will last generations but takes years to grow and develop." You explained as you held up the remainder of the orange for him. "And these peppers and things grow on plants that must be cultivated within a growing season." You answered. "But if the clan moves often to keep up with the grazing of herds, I don't know if that's possible." You added softly as you ducked your head again, not knowing if that was the right answer before Arob got you another cup of tea, a different kind this time and added a big dollop of honey to mask the bitter taste and as you continued to drink it, you felt your whole body grow heavier and heavier as sleep clouded your brain before you finally fell asleep, your head falling to rest on Arob's shoulder and once you did, she put a hand over your ear before she began to bark orders at everyone who quickly found their feet again and did as they were told by their paternal grandmother while Razor damn near had a fit and swooped in to try to fight everyone off.