Just Fine Chapter 5

Riley’s lips sent fire through my body and for a second I was paralyzed. Then I freaked out. I made up some lame excuse as to why I had to leave right then at that very moment. Riley kept apologizing for the kiss but I just told her I had to leave. I don’t even remember the drive home. Now I’m lying in bed listening to my dad snore two rooms over and thinking about the last few hours. I rub my fingers where Riley had kissed them. I shouldn’t have left in a fuss like that. But I didn’t know what else to do. She had kissed me and it felt so nice. I have never felt like that in my life. And another female made me feel that way.

My phone started vibrating in my pocket. Jacob. I stare at his face on the caller ID until the missed call message pops up. Then it starts vibrating again and his face returns. I answer on the fourth vibrate but I don’t say anything.

“Hello? Kira?” Jacob slurred into the phone. I could hear music in the background. It’s five in the morning; the party at Kendal’s should be over by now. He must have gone to another. “Kira, fucking say heller when you answer the damn phone.”

“Why are you calling me?”

“Where have you been? You been fuckin...other guys, heh? Whorin behind my back?”

I laugh, “I saw you at Kendal’s in the pool. I think you’re calling the wrong person a whore and you’re crazy if you think you still have a girlfriend.”

“Fuck you Kira! Don’t worry about what the fuck you saw me doin at Kendal’s. I told you before, you fuck around and we are done! You didn’t answer your phone at all, all week. I didn’t fuckin see you…you have been doing that shit a lot lately! We are done.”

“Well shit Jacob. I’m glad we are on the same page now.” I hang up and sigh heavily. I can’t understand way I could never end the relationship. There were so many strikes against Jacob and he wasn’t making me happy anymore but I stayed.

­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­It was going on three o’clock in the afternoon when I woke up. I drag myself to the bathroom to brush my teeth and don’t dare look in the mirror. When I’m done I raid the fridge and settle on a cherry popsicle and stare out the kitchen window. I have less than three months to get back on the team. So that’s less than three months to catch up in my classes. And that’s less than three months to get all the pieces of my world back together. That’s not so hard. Three months is a lot of time, a lot can happen in three months. Hell, a lot has happened in two days.

I change into one of my dad’s white t-shirts and a pair of cargos. I go to get my keys but they weren’t where I put them. Instead there was a note from my dad. His car wouldn’t start so he took my truck to work. I sighed and threw the note away. I wanted to drive up to the beach today and let the ocean clear my mind. Much needed cleanse of my brain to get rid of all the unnecessary bullshit.

It took me a while to figure out what to do with myself. After an hour of tossing and turning on my bed I decide to walk to the gym and use the pool there. It’s about a fifteen minute walk from home. I figured just because I wasn’t on the team doesn’t mean I can’t practice. I put my swimsuit on underneath my clothes and head out.

When I arrived to the pool the smell of chlorine welcomed me and made feel at home. I couldn’t wait to get in. I tear off my clothes in the locker room and throw them in a heap at the bottom of a locker and head to the pool like a kid running to the ice cream truck.

I dive right in and the water embraces me. I swim back to the edge of the pool and climb out, take a deep breath and dive right back in. I repeat this until I was content with how I was entering the water. After, I do reps. I dive in once again and the water rushes past me as I increase my speed. I  kick off the pool wall and gain another boost of speed and in a flash I am on the other side of the pool.

“You know, you move so beautifully in the water I’d think you were born a mermaid if I didn’t know any better”, I turn around so fast I hit my elbow on the side of the pool. It can’t be her. I climb out of the pool and do a run/walk to the locker room and I hear bare feet behind me.

“Kira?” I turn around and there’s Riley, looking even more breath taking in florescent light. She stares at me for a moment in my bathing suit like she had forgotten what she came here for. “Um, I have to talk to you about last night. I—“

“No! Noooo. You don’t. It’s OK.” I say as I grab my clothes out of the locker.

“Listen. I have to. I went to every freakin’ body of water in town. I knew I’d find you at one of them. I didn’t know any other way of getting to you. Last night was so my fault. I got this huge vibe from you and I thought you were into me and you’re so…I don’t know and I just wanted, hoped that I could get laid for once and I, I didn’t even ask you if you were gay and I’m totally not that kind of girl, it’s just I thought the feelings were mutual and I am sorry. I am truly sorry.”

Riley didn’t even take a breath and I just stood there with my cargos on and my shirt halfway on. I had to process what was just spazed at me. Riley likes me, likes me. Riley wants to fuck me. And she thought I wanted to fuck her too. And the weird thing is, I do.