ℂℍ𝔸ℙ𝕋𝔼ℝ 𝟞𝟝

Start from the beginning

⊱ ────── {.⋅ ♫ ⋅.} ───── ⊰

Somethin' inside me's changed

I was so much younger yesterday, oh

⊱ ────── {.⋅ ♫ ⋅.} ───── ⊰

"We'll be back," Mamoru nods, trailing after Hinata.

He bounces back quickly, considering he was seconds away from throwing up on the balcony. Mamoru follows in his trail, watching with amusement as Hinata sings a song about going to the bathroom.

Mamoru had planned to wait outside in the hallways, but as Hinata opens the door, he bumps into a tall boy wearing an Ohgiminami track jacket. He looks like an upperclassman. Coincidently, he happens to be the team they're playing first-

"Watch where you're walking, dumbass!"

The aggressive tone sets him off, a shudder running down his skin. It's not often Mamoru encounters aggressive people in Japan. They can be brusque and honest, but not outright hostile. He hears Hinata's frantic shouts of apologies and the underlying note of fear, and that's all he needs to know.

In seconds, Mamoru steps next to Hinata, close enough to brush arms, and throws a piercing stare. The other boy balks, but doesn't back down, choosing to glare back.

⊱ ────── {.⋅ ♫ ⋅.} ───── ⊰

I didn't know that I was starvin' 'til I tasted you

Don't need no butterflies when you give me the whole damn zoo

⊱ ────── {.⋅ ♫ ⋅.} ───── ⊰

"What? You got a problem with me?"

"Yes," Mamoru answers succinctly, stunning the other boy into a stupor with his quick, honest answer. "I do. Don't talk to my teammate like that."

The other boy narrows his eyes, clearly peeved at the blatant backtalk. "Which school are you from?"

"Karasuno," Hinata pipes up, poking his head around Mamoru. He tips his chin up slightly, emboldened by the fact he's got Mamoru with him. "We're gonna win this tournament and go to nationals!"

Part of Mamoru wants to wince at the bold proclamation in the lobby where other players have turned their heads to them, but he feels obligated to stand by Hinata's optimism in the face of an adversary. He keeps himself from giving away any sort of surprise and smooths his expression. "If you're done, please stop blocking the doorway. It's rude."

He splutters, clearly taken aback by the sudden change in topic. With how Mamoru directed the conversation, he doesn't have anything to say so he storms off.

Mamoru waits outside for Hinata to finish his business before they head back. As they're climbing the stairs, Hinata speaks again after having been unusually quiet. "Mamoru?"

"Hm?"

"Are we friends?" He speaks unsurely, hesitation in every word. It's a shock from his usual sunshine personality. "You said 'teammate'. Not that I don't– I like that we're teammates...I mean–"

⊱ ────── {.⋅ ♫ ⋅.} ───── ⊰

By the way, right away, you do things to my body