Chapter One--Poor Little Orphan Boy

Chapter One

I hear the screaming of little kids as they played in the hallway. Bloody idiots, I thought. They made want to hit them. Did they not realize where they were? How much of a depressing, miserable, lonely place this was?

“Aiden? Aiden deary, could you please turn that down?” The caretaker, Mrs. Chole asked. I glared at her but reluctantly did what she said. She smiled her thank you, left, and shut the door. I rolled over so my face was buried in my pillow, and let the music wash over me.

“T-that’s a good song,” I heard someone stutter. I looked towards the door and saw a boy with striking blue eyes and black hair falling in his face. “H-hi, I’m Maxwell,” I glared at him.

“Am I supposed to give a shit?”

He looked hurt but I didn’t care. He set his stuff on the bed and I noticed a ratty old teddy bear. He seemed to care a lot about it but I quickly brushed the thought away.

  “Mind if I smoke?” He shook his head quickly and I lit up.

  “M-Mrs.Ch-Chole said your nam-name was A-Aiden,” he stuttered nervously.

“So?” I asked, flipping my hair out of my face.

 “W-well…I don’t know…I th-thought we could may-maybe be f-friends.”

  “Sorry kid, I don’t do friends.” The flame flickered out of the lighter, the fire quickly spreading to my cigerette.

“Oh, okay,” he laid down on the bed, clutching the ratty bear. Then he rolled over, and I knew he was crying. I took a deep drag, letting the toxic smoke fill my lungs and ease my nerves.

“Look, kid, you’ll get outta here, I know it is rough; but you’ll find a good home soon,” I exhaled, wondering why the hell I was being so nice to this kid.

“How long have you been here?”

“None of your business,” I snapped. Way to go kid, I thought. Really, way to go. I grabbed my  jacket and said “I’m going out.”

He rolled over and sniffed. “Where are you going?”

“None of your business,” I snapped again. I threw the cancer stick on the floor and crushed it with my foot. It matched the countless others littered on the floor.

“How are you going to sneak out?” Annoyed, I pointed to the window. “Oh,”

I climbed out of the window, onto a tree and branch and shimmied down. As I dropped down I pulled the jacket tighter around me. I exhaled and a white cloud formed. I slowly began my journey, the cold air nipping at nose.

Twenty minutes later, I arrived at the cementary. “Hi mom,” I said. “I have a new roommate. His name is Maxwell. You would like him." As if she could hear me, and as if she didn't already know, I told her: "I’m still at the orphanage.” My voice cracked. For some reason, tears fell from my eyes and froze on my cheeks. I sat on the ground next to the stone, wishing she could be here. After a bit, I stood up and started to walk home. “Oh, I almost forgot,” I leaned down and kissed the gravestone and whispered “I love you mom,”

When I got back to the orphanage, my pants were drenched from melted snow and my fingers were numb. WIth difficulty, I climbed the tree and crawled through the window, earning a couple of scrapes. I looked over at Maxwell and he was reading a book. I opened up the minuscule closest we shared and decided to get dressed for bed. I put on some plain pants and a gray T-shirt. I jumped on my bed and stared at the ceiling. The only thing that could be heard was Maxwell turning the pages of his book. Perfect.

“H-have you been cry-ying?” I heard him ask.

“What does it look like idiot?” I snapped.

“S-sorry, ,”

I sighed, know this kid was just going to pout unless I said something. “What’s your book?” That seemed to perk him up. He began ranting about some chick and all of the troubles she had. Yeah, right, she's the one with problems.

I rolled over and the let the nightmares invade my head.