Go

THE NEXT FEW days were a blur. Jared and I were better, we were friendly, but we didn't speak of the past, and he wouldn't tell me why he brought Presley with him that night. Presley speculated that it was because he didn't want to be alone with me, but I think understanding finally dawned on him. That, or something cliche about true friendship.
Regardless, he made the right move. Presley's parents are happily letting me stay in their guest room.
Presley had taken me up to her bedroom that cold night and we'd snuggled under her warm comforter. We emerged in the morning, groggy, but hand in hand to explain everything to her mom and dad. Her mom kept referring to the whole situation as "a little phase" but she had no cruel intentions and was happy to give me a roof to sleep under; so long as Presley and I were in separate beds.
But I knew it couldn't last.
I still went to school alongside my brother, I still had a bout of legal documents to sort through with my parents, and quite frankly, that wasn't how I wanted to spend my upcoming summer. My first summer with Presley.
I needed to escape.
Today, the last day of school, Presley and I each took a shower and headed to school together, but I stepped away before first period to find Aaron. His friends all chortled as I approached, but I forced him to follow me into a deserted hallway.
"Are you happy?" I ask. He squirms under my scrutiny. "Are you happy that mom kicked me out on the streets?" I almost laugh. Aaron cocks an eyebrow.
"Everyone knows you're living with Presley, anyways. It's not that big of a deal, Sam." He mutters. Tears prick my eyes.
"Not a big deal? I will probably never be allowed in my own home again, and that's not a big deal? Sure, I'm living at Presley's, but that wasn't a guarantee- mom could never have known that I would be safe by kicking me out--"
Aaron cuts me off.
"--Stop. It's sucks okay, but get over it. You're strong, you'll make it through this." He says, searching my face for freedom. I don't grant him the privilege of walking away just yet.
"How can I be strong without my family?" I ask, snot and tears starting to drip. Aaron shifts from side to side.
"You'll be fine." He reasserts, pulling away. He glances at me blankly, and I scan him once more.
"Goodbye," I say. He shrugs. Little does he know it's the last time he will hear those words from me.

Back at Presley's, I begin repacking. Not that it's hard, since I have so little stuff.
"What are you doing?" She asks pointedly, laying down on her bed, belly up. I rub my hand up and down her leg, staring sadly into her eyes.
"I can't stay here, Pres. Your family has been so kind and considerate, but I can't live here," I mutter, planting a kiss on her knee.
"You're leaving me?" She asks, eyes watery. I sigh. "We just got this figured out," she protests. I look away.
"Being shunned from your family isn't exactly figuring it out, Presley. Trust me, I need to leave." I hoist my bag up on my shoulder. I don't fully understand why it feels so necessary to leave, but something about being stuck in this town with a family that hates me, a generation that calls me a dyke, and a best friend that has violent unrequited love just doesn't seem appealing.
Running is my only option.
Presley grabs my wrist. "Then I'll come with you," she whispers, standing up off the bed. I try not to smile.
"I don't want to put you in danger, Presley. I don't really know where I'm going," I reply, rambling. It sounds so ridiculous, but there's such a heavy level of hate in this area that's nearly knocking me unconscious.
"No, Sam. I'm coming. Remember? Wherever you go, I'll follow." She grabs a second duffel and throws it on the bed, looking at me earnestly. I pull her in for a sweet, soft kiss. When I finally pull away, "okay," I say,
"Then let's go,"