xxxi. a roll of the dice

Zacznij od początku

"That's right, Scott, I won't even," Tony whispered, splaying his palms up apologetically. Aster felt his eyes on her. "I got my kids."

As if it was on cue, Morgan ran out the front door and straight to Tony. He pulled her into his lap and she buried her head in his neck. "Mommy told me to come and save you," she shyly said.

"Good job. I'm saved." He stood up, holding Morgan close to his chest as he turned to face the rest of his team. His family. "I wish you'd come here to ask me something else. Anything else. I'm honestly happy to see you guys. I'm glad I'm seeing you for any other reason than to visit my daughter in a coma. Oh, and look, the table's set for seven."

Steve stepped in front of him before he could walk off. "Tony, I get it. And I'm happy for you, I really am. But this is a second chance."

Glancing over at Aster, Tony held Morgan a little tighter. "I got my second chance right here, Cap. I can't roll the dice again. If you don't talk shop, you can stay for lunch," he said, turning and walking back into the house.

Aster sent the others an apologetic look before following after him. Tony put Morgan down, sending her to help Pepper bring the food out. He turned when he heard Aster's footsteps behind him, letting out a heavy sigh. "Sorry, kiddo."

Tilting her head, Aster pursed her li[s. "You don't have to apologize. I get it."

Tony stared at her for a long moment before nodding. "I should've told Steve this when I was on the phone with him this morning, but... if you'd like, you can start staying here tonight. You've got a room of your own upstairs."

Aster's lips curled into a smile. "I do?"

"Of course you do. The only thing missing here is you."

They hadn't forgotten about her. Sure, Tony and Pepper built a new life in the past five years, but they included her in it. "Okay. I just have to grab some of my stuff from the Compound."

Nodding, Tony shoved his hands into the pockets of his jacket. "Why don't you go back with them and grab your things? You can miss lunch, but there's no way that you're missing lasagna for dinner tonight."

Aster was nearly drooling at the thought of Pepper's homemade lasagna. "Deal."

She turned to the door to leave, but Tony called her name before she could. He walked over to her and pulled her into his arms once more, giving her a hug before she went. "I was terrified that you weren't going to wake up," he whispered. "My world's been too quiet without you."

"I'm right here," Aster mumbled, smiling into his chest. "Careful, I'm gonna start thinking you missed me."

Tony scoffed and playfully shoved her away. "Alright, get outta here."

Aster snickered, calling out a quick goodbye to Pepper and Morgan before slipping out of the door. By the time she made it outside, Steve, Natasha, and Scott were already gathered by the car.

"He's scared," Natasha pointed out, slinging an arm over Aster's shoulders when she was close enough.

Steve let out a sigh. "He's not wrong."

"Yeah, but I mean, what are we... what are we gonna do?" Scott stammered, on the verge of panicking. "We need him. I mean, we have Aster's brain, but we need all hands on deck. What, are we gonna stop?"

Steve shook his head, opening the driver's door. "No, I wanna do it right. We're gonna need another really big brain."

Aster and Natasha shared a look, knowing exactly who Steve was referencing.

Incredulous, Scott pointed one finger at Aster and the other at the cabin. "Bigger than theirs?"