In fact, she was starting to experience her first glimmer of hope for the future in a very long time.  

Without Pataali to make life terrible, she would be the Rani of her own house, and she was actually starting to believe she might be able to get along with the Nawab. 

"He has really been quite kind," Uruvi assured her in a low and solemn voice. "And I don't feel scared with him. He has kind eyes and..." she took a deep breath and admitted... "I enjoyed his kisses... Very much," she added when Surili hesitated, still looking uncertain. 

"Besides, look how thoughtful he was in ordering a bath for me to ease my aches," she pointed out, shaking her head.

"He is not what his reputation suggests, Surili, any more than Pataali is the kind, obedient, and adored stepmother everyone at the durbar believes she is."

The maid let out a deep sigh and then threw a quick glance toward the men as they finished what they were doing.  

She watched them leave the room before turning back to Uruvi to suggest, "Get you into the tub. I will run down to the stables to convince Abhay that everything is fine... for now. And if you do change your mind, we can still..."

"I will not change my mind," Uruvi assured her, and she was quite positive she wouldn't. She then cautioned, "Make sure no one is near when you tell Abhay the truth of what happened. I don't want Pataali to know any of this before the wedding takes place."  

"Never. The old cow would probably find some way to break the engagement and force you to marry someone else," the maid muttered, confirming Uruvi's own thoughts on the matter. 

"Should I help you with your kurti?"

Uruvi opened her mouth to refuse the offer, but then hesitated. It wasn't just her leg stiffening up as time passed. 

She had noticed her arm was beginning to ache as she'd packed, and suspected that, between that and her bruised ribs, undressing would not be the easy task it normally was.

"Yes, please." She murmured.

Surili nodded and set to work, removing the kurti quickly. 

She decided it was beyond repair and flung it into a corner before helping Uruvi take off her petticoat and sighing with worry as the bruises she sported became visible.  

"You can't ride like this, Raajkumaaree," Surili said with a frown as she pushed her into the tub. "You will be in horrible pain."

"I hope the bath will help," Uruvi said quietly, wincing as the hot water seemed to scorch her skin. 

By the time she fully submerged herself in the tub, she was gasping from the heat. However, it quickly became tolerable, and it did begin to relieve her aches and pains almost immediately.  

"Can you not ask him to stay for a day or two to allow you to heal? If he is as kind as you claim, surely he would allow it."

Uruvi bit her lip, but then shook her head. "He has already seen them and yet desires to leave at once. He must have his reasons. Besides, what is a little pain in front of the pleasure of escaping Pataali?" she asked dryly.

When she heard the words, Surili reluctantly smiled and sighed. "I'll add some tonic to your gin so you can drink it. That will make it easier to tolerate.

"Thank you. I would appreciate that," Uruvi admitted.

Surili nodded and turned away. "I will bring the gin and tonic back when I return from talking to Abhay. You just relax and soak."