Chapter 21:: Incoming Problems

ابدأ من البداية

There was something about his smile that radiated sincerity. 

She was glad he found his lost thing back. And she was pleased to think that she was the one who found what he'd lost. 

He handed her the locket, "You found it for me. Help me wear it." 
"You're going to wear it now?" 
"Yeah. This locket goes well with this black kurta." 

"How many black kurtas do you even own..." 
"I look good in black, come on." He shrugged as she gestured for him to come closer. He suppressed a smile as she was about to help him wear the locket but halted.

"What are they doing?" Atif asked Ajay who shrugged, "I don't care, honestly. I'm hungry. What did you buy for the feast, Shams?" 
Priti stared at her sister and Kabir, a soft smile playing on her lips as Adisha nudged her arms. 
Nisha glanced at them, frowning a little to see such reactions but pretended not to notice them.
"You can just wear the locket on your own. It doesn't have hooks, either." 

Kabir looked at her with a sigh, "Can you elaborate on your reasons for hating me so much?" 
"What?" She frowned, eyeing him strangely. 
"Put it on for me if you don't hate me." He smiled as she kept the locket on the table, getting down as he heard her mutter,

"I'd rather hate you than put it on for you." 

He let out a huff, glancing at Adil who shook his head, giving him a disapproving look.

Life sucked.

———

"Of course." Nisha's father said, laughing along to Shams's father's jokes. The elders were talking as the youngers sat around, listening to them. 
Nisha smiled a little, noticing how adorable her sister and Shams looked while they whispered things between themselves. 
"Only a few get such love..." She whispered. 

She got up and walked towards the aunties chatting about random things. 
"Oh my! Yes! Kobita's daughter ran away with Shamsuddin's son!" One shrieked loudly as she sighed, shaking her head. There went their usual topics.
"Oh, bhabi! I attended Munni's wedding! Her husband is so ugly... she could've done so much better." 

Nisha sat near them, wondering when their irrelevant chats would come to an end.

"Ah, Nisha!" Jafrin Aunty spoke with a smile to which she reciprocated. She sighed, glancing at her mother.
"Why does she sit with these snitching aunties if she doesn't like them?" She whispered to herself, shaking her head when her paternal aunt spoke, "Nisha. You're next! Are you ready for marriage?" 

She pressed her lips, "Uh, well... I think it depends on whenever I'm fated to marry." 
"She's still building her career." Her mother inserted, earning a few sighs from the aunties.
"This is the age to get married. She's already twenty-five. Who'll marry her if she becomes older?" 
"Given this generation, you don't have to worry much about it aunt! Age isn't a big factor these days." She smiled kindly, mentally cursing the shit out of these women for bringing up these topics. 
They had a talent for making anyone in a radius of a hundred meters near them offended and uncomfortable. 

"Still... it's for your good. You can't find a very good and wealthy guy when you age too much." One of them spoke as she smiled, nodding. 
"If I don't find any suitable guy, I'll just stick to my career. There's no rule that women must get married." She politely spoke, fisting her hands as the aunts started gossiping amidst themselves. Nisha glanced at her mother's uncomfortable expression as she lightly shook her head at her daughter. 

She sighed, looking down. 
"What type of guy are you searching for Nisha? Should we help?" Kona Aunty asked as Nisha shrugged, unbothered. 
"A good guy who'll know how to treat my daughter well." 
"No wealthy or good background?" 
"That's a given."