Chapter Fourteen

"How can you do that?" I ask, gaping at Clint Barton, who has just landing 10 bulls-eyes in a row.

"Practice, I guess." He shrugs with a smile. Although Loki isn't a part of the picture, I love living with the Avengers. As soon as he was gone, they warmed up to me immediately, and they're super friendly.

I watch as Clint crosses the room and begins to tickle a previously serious Natasha, who was looking at her gun with a stony expression before. She laughs hysterically with her eyes squeezed shut and kicks her legs out. I've never seen two best friends love and care for each other so much.

It reminded me of my three best friends, and I felt a wave of loneliness crash into me. I loved my new roommates so much, but they weren't Loki, Sif, or even Tia.

Maybe I should call my mother, considering she's had no idea where I've been for almost 3 weeks.

I'm startled out of my thoughts when Steve approaches me from behind and pokes me in the way that I hate.

"Steve!" I whine. I turn around and he's smiling. Out of everyone here, I loved Steve the best. We were instantly close friends, as we'd had many likes and dislikes in common.

"Would you like to get lunch in the city?" He proposes.

"Of course." I say. I'd never turn down a chance to go into the city itself, as I'm usually kept safe in Stark tower, and I only get to look out over it.

I reach my hand out and he helps me up. We retreat from the room together, waving at Natasha and Clint as if they were actually paying attention. We knew they weren't. The pair only had eyes for each other.

"Did you have anything in mind?" I ask Steve as I follow him down the stairs and into his room.

He shrugs, quickly pulling his sweaty shirt over his head. He walks into his bathroom and takes a quick 5 minute shower, then returns with a towel around his waist.

"How about that new diner they opened up not far from here, with the tables outside?" I suggest.

"Sure." He nods. I turn around so he can put clothes on, and when he's done, he taps my shoulder. I follow him out the door.

It takes another 10 minutes to get outside, because Steve has to sign a bunch of things and proves he's who he says he is, just so I can leave the building for maybe an hour.

"Let's go." He finally sighs, his shoulders slightly hunched in faux exhaustion.

"Come on, you big oaf." I roll my eyes, slightly shoving his shoulder.

We make it to the cafe and are seated soon enough. A little waitress takes our orders, and she reminds me of someone my mother hired at the flower shop when I was 4. I make no mention of it, though.

"You seem awfully unbothered for someone who has a target on her back." Steve breaks the silence, taking a sip from his drink.

"There's nothing I can really do about it." I answer. And it's true. Even though I'm terribly worried... but I'd never show it.

"Nothing?"

"You seem to forget, Steve. I'm not special like you. I can't punch and kick away my problems." I poke fun at him, and he knows it.

"You're snarky." He comments.

"Oh, shut up, Steve." I wave my hand at him, as if telling him to get out of my presence. He pouts his lip in mock hurt, and I pretend I don't notice.

The waitress has set down our food, and I'm sipping at my soup when there's a loud crash. There's a sudden scramble of big and tiny feet, and then a man in a dark jumpsuit crashes into the ground with his hands out and curses. I look back at Steve, who's staring at my bowl with his eyes wide.

There's a tiny ball of black fluff who'd managed to spill it all over, after accidentally leaping inside. A kitten.

The tiny cat hisses at the liquid and licks its shoulder, before jumping out and right into my lap. I yelp, feeling it's claws dig in, but I quickly forget it when I look at the scrap again.

"Oh my gosh, Steve, look how cute it is!" I coo, scratching behind its ear. The kitten quietly purrs and snuggles up to my hand.

"Young maiden, I give you my thanks for catching this creature, but I really need- fair Olivia?" I hear behind me. I furrow my eyebrows and stare at the man, not recognizing him at first.

"Volstagg!" I realize happily.

"Olivia, I come bearing a message, for you. As well as this little dark creature." He gestures to the cat with his hand, then stares at me awkwardly for several seconds.

"Well, what's the message?" I turn, facing him more clearly.

"Ah, yes!" He remembers, sticking his hand into the pocket of his jumpsuit. Finally, he pulls out a thick piece of cream colored paper.

"Here you are." He sets it in front of me. "Now, I must be going. I am in need of returning to my duties." He nods at Steve, then me, and turns away.

"Go back to Hogwarts, Hagrid!" Somebody insults, followed by laughter. I furrow my eyebrows. That wasn't even funny, and it didn't make sense.

"Was that another reference to something I don't understand?" Steve questions, and I smile and motion for him to let it go. I carefully open the paper, excited to see what it holds. The writing is an elegant form of cursive, and I bring it a bit closer to my face to read it.

Dearest Olivia,

I miss you. I have been kept in this cage in my own home for far too long, and I still find my mind wandering to you in my extreme amount of time alone. I fear for your safety. Although the Avengers were capable of destroying me, I know that I am nothing compared to Thanos and his rage.

Also, I thank you, for being accepting of me and my true self. I can not wait to see your beautiful face, yet it might be a long time until I could have the pleasure.

By the way, I sent the creature for you. It and this note itself came originally attached to each other, but I would not be surprised if Thor or any of his putrid friends (whomever has delivered this) have separated them at some point. I believe it is called a cat, on Midgard?

My affections,

Loki

-

Hi everyone!

I don't know how soon the next chapter is coming up, but I wanted to warn you of something.

I'm very sorry in advance, but there will be no updates at all next week, because I'll be away at show choir camp, and I doubt I'll have any time to write.

I'm planning on updating before next week, but I wanted to make sure I told you!

Qotc: what are you excited for over the summer?

Aotc: going to show choir and being with my friends:)

Enjoy!

-k xxx