Chapter 01 | Before I Go

C H A P T E R  01

C H A P T E R  01

Let me start this off slowly, hi my name is Alex Eastwood and I have a rare condition in which my body cells start to grow out of control. These types of cells mature partly but not completely. This is called CML; Chronic Myeloid Leukemia. Yes, cancer. It's a slow growing disease which means I'm stuck like this for a while. Well, unless I die of unfortunate causes.

My doctors have strictly stated that overtime my cancer will grow and obviously become worse. Stay optimistic they said, it'll be fine they said.

Instead, I wish I could talk about my nonexistent social life and fantasize about going to some high school party where kids had used fake ID's to purchase alcohol the day before. I wish I could do a lot of things and yet here I am. Talking to myself. Drawing in my notebook once again; living the only way I could. Indoors away from human life.

As a kid of course, I went to regular school I ate regular kid food like cookies and lollipops, until one day I just didn't seem to work anymore. I was thirteen when it all began. The symptoms start out normal, like any other cold. Gradually the cold starts to become severe. I'd wake up drenched in sweat, too tired to even get out of bed.

I started getting bloody noses during school hours. I'd cry to my mother because every bone in my body felt like it was breaking, over and over again. My appetite was gone, this caused my weight to fluctuate rapidly. My mother thought it would be best if she checked me out of school.

When we got the final results my mother was devastated. I was a child, I didn't know what all of this meant. At the time to me it was just a very bad cold. Little did I know this would become my new world.

They said the first stages of development were always the worst. I had to be put under many different medications for many different things. Most days I was to drugged up to even stay awake for long. I did undergo a few surgeries like blood transfusions as well.

I remember at one point I wanted to give up. Thinking that maybe my body wasn't strong enough for all of this treatment.

Four years later I'm just trying to live the best life any teenager could live with Leukemia. There is the fact that nobody knows I'm even living with such a condition.

I bit the top of my pen, swaying my chair a little as I looked down at my notebook. I was sitting at my desk glancing up every now and then to catch a glimpse of my neighbor. Stalker much, to my defense his curtains were never closed! He went by the name of Gavin Cambridge, it already sounds to cheesy to be true.

For a short minute Gavin passes by his window. How depressing, this is what I looked forward to each morning? My hot neighbor? He's running his hands through his hair like he's frustrated about something again.