Part 1: The Sharpest Lives

5:30AM

It was a dewy morning in early May. My run to work along the Thames was peaceful and was I grateful for the rare opportunity to gather my thoughts and prepare for the hectic day ahead. London felt unusually calm as a hazy blue mist hung over the softly sleeping city.

I was quick without even thinking about it, still carrying the fitness from the med school running team, though my stomach felt a little queasy.

It was odd for me to feel this nervous.

Dr Francis (our chief surgeon) had told me today's operation was to be especially important for the department. It's true, we had been practicing the new method for months but today would be the first live trial.

The patient was flying in all the way from New Jersey for God's sake!

I'd read his file- under the name Gerard Arthur Way. 26 year old male who has been suffering from acute tooth pain for a few years. According to Dr Francis his condition had left doctors in the US dumbstruck and this operation could be his only hope. Dr Francis had actually been Mr Way's family doctor before he had decided to emigrate to England.

As a reward for my recent hard work, I would be allowed to be the assistant surgeon. But of course, there was a catch. I would have to look after him in intensive care rather than assist in any other surgeries!

I smirked to myself as I approached the obnoxiously clean hospital building.

It would definitely be worth it.

6:00AM

I had always liked to be the first one in.

I swiftly moved past the zombified doctors just leaving their night shift and into the changing rooms. Before jumping into the shower I put my workout clothes in my gym bag and threw it into my locker.

Damn, I almost forgot how great the showers were here. I let my mind wander to Mr Way... I guess I would be spending a lot of time with him in the near future..Would he be boring? Or hot? Or intelligent? Or funny?

I didn't really know anything about him, or what his job was. But I figured he must be pretty rich if he had the money to jet over here first class. Probably something in New York, like banking or law...mmm

LYRA STOP! I could not let myself become attracted to him by any means. Doctor/Patient relationships were strictly forbidden and would result in instant dismissal- the rules were very clear. Anyway if anything sparked it would be too painful when he left. Before I knew it he would be jetting back off to New Jersey and I would be never able to see him again.

Whoa showers made me get way too deep. He could be annoying as heck for all I knew. I looked at my watch and saw I was running late.

Mr Way was the first operation of the day. I quickly put on my scrubs and threw my hair up into a high ponytail. He would be arriving any minute so I bolted up the stairs to catch Dr Francis.