1.

Present day

Guttural groans and loud fitness music followed by a brief timer fill the room. To my left, Walter was lying on his stomach while releasing hard pants and to my right, Blair was perched up on her knees and bringing a shaky water bottle to her lips. To think that we were only fifty percent into this Chloe Ting workout.

"Alright, that's the end of our first set. You can take a quick fifteen seconds' break or up to a minute break –"

"Yes!" Blair shrieks with relief, her auburn hair matting onto her pale porcelain face as she rushed to click on the spacebar of my laptop, "Fuck yes! A break! We need a break!"

"It wasn't that bad." The widening of her incandescent eyes is more than enough to send me toppling over with loud laughter on a seemingly unresponsive Walter. I stiffen, straightening myself up before turning to his body, "uh, Blair?"

She gives Walter a quick look before swallowing a generous gulp of her water. "Eh. I hope he put us in his will."

I playfully swat at her arm before scolding her, "I think he passed out, mamas." Her lips are still pursued in a pout as she rubs her aching arm, "give me your water bottle real quick."

With no retorting, my other best friend hands me her water, and quickly, I dump the whole bottle on Walter's reddened face. A deep gasp fills the room and Blair immediately bursts into a fit of snorts. Trust me, my smile was wrestling to etch across my face but I couldn't do my best friend like that, not after he decided to join my Chloe Ting workouts in order to support me.

"Okay, it's a wrap," I tell them, rising from my fitness mat and signaling them to roll theirs up as well, "I don't want to be held liable for your two dead bodies in my apartment."

My Pittsburgh apartment was rather on the smaller side but my balcony granted a considerable view of the city. I made sure to make the place have white to nude furnishings in order to allude to the expansion of space. 

Not much was in here. 

I had a television where I used to hook up my PlayStation 4 Pro – before an ex's cousin stole it post our breakup – and quite a collection of incense stick holders of different designs. 

A couch, a queen bed in my bedroom, and incense stick holders pretty much summed up the contents of my apartment.

It was a lot quieter this afternoon, a few random racing cars piquing my interest but nothing really of substance. From what my investigations led me to believe, I could be a few houses away from my father.

The sliding of the balcony door clutches my attention and I turn around to see Walter in his swimming shorts with a towel around his shoulders to tame the water dripping from his chocolate shoulder-length strands. Him, being done with his shower, must've meant that Blair was about to start with hers.

"Hey ugly.," He greets cheekily, stepping to stand beside me, "how long have you been out here?"

"A while," I tell him, placing my elbows onto the wooden blockade for support. He playfully bumps his shoulder into mine and instinctively, I hiss in annoyance, "Wallie! You just took a shower! Now you've got my sweat all over you!"

He ignores me and revealed the pearly white smile his braces took a while to fix. With reluctance, I too bump my shoulder into his.

I loved having them here, even if it was just to temporarily distract me from my thoughts. A lot was racketing every corner of my mind. Sometimes, it was just a little too much to bear with and it seemed as though my two friends could quickly pick up on that via some weird mind link, thus rushing to help me.