Chapter 56: Concern

Start from the beginning

The brunette could see Mami say something but the teenager had spoken far too low for Tomomi to hear. From the looks of it, Aina hadn't heard either. Her expression had changed to one of confusion, her head cocking to the side and a small 'what' leaving her lips. Mami never responded, only merely shaking her head and going back to directing her attention to the drink in front of her.

"Tomomi!"

Shock flew through Tomomi at the sound of her loudly spoken name, her footsteps stopping momentarily and her heart beginning to pound. She recollected herself quickly and moved farther over to where the girls sat at a table off to the side of the café, seeing Yukako smiling happily at her. Yukako pushed the notebook aside, almost looking as if she were happier that Tomomi had just given her an excuse to get rid of it. The brunette could only guess that Sumire had been trying to teach Yukako something, and that the teaching hadn't been going very well at all.

"You're a bit late."

The coldly spoken words made Tomomi's body stiffen a bit. She looked down at Mami, seeing that the blonde hadn't bothered to look up at her as she had said the words. Mami's words sounded odd to Tomomi. The brunette wouldn't say Mami sounded mad exactly but she couldn't say what Mami actually sounded like. She gulped lightly, preparing to counter Mami's response but was unable to before Hinako chimed in.

"Ignore her. She's just grouchy because she has a migraine and Sumire made her take aspirins for it," Hinako said, shrugging her shoulders as Sumire gave a small smile. Mami's gaze shifted to her, the blonde shooting the younger girl a glare. Hinako laughed at the look Mami had given her, waving off the blonde's harsh glare.

Tomomi stayed silent, unsure of what to say and shifting nervously on her feet. She wanted to say something yet at the same time, Tomomi didn't want to end up saying the wrong thing. It wasn't as if she could stay quiet forever though. Eventually, one of them would notice the quietness that was intense even for a shy girl like Tomomi. Eventually, one of them would become curious and ask her about it. Could Tomomi continue hiding it when one of them asked? Could she lie straight to their faces? Tomomi didn't honestly know the answer to that.

"Come sit down, Tomomi." The brunette could hear the softly spoken invitation from the youngest member of the group. She glanced up to see Sumire motion towards an empty seat at the table next to Mami. The blonde still hadn't looked up, seeming unfazed by everything around her. Tomomi nodded slowly, taking a few steps forward before sitting down quietly next to Mami, knowing full well that she couldn't exactly deny Sumire's light invitation to take a seat.

The brunette sat quietly, hands on her lap as the group continued their previous discussions. Aina had flipped her phone back open, muttering under her breath and shaking her head as she typed away on the handheld device. Across the table, Sumire had put the notebook back, receiving a groan from Yukako and a small giggle leaving Sumire's lips. Tomomi could hear another laugh fill the small space.

"I'll give you points for trying to help Yukako catch up," Hinako said. Yukako sneered at her before looking back down at the notebook, giving the pages a similar look. Whatever subject Sumire was trying to assist Yukako it, it certainly wasn't one that the pigtailed girl favored.

Tomomi saw Hinako look over at her, a small chuckle leaving her lips no doubt from the curious look Tomomi knew she had on her face. Tomomi's eyes darted down and away from Yukako and Sumire when she noticed Hinako staring at her.