14.

Sofia

To say that I'm scared would be an understatement. Recently my anxiety becomes more and more frequent. And that means another doomed cycle will begin soon.

Ever since our four-days trip to Iceland, I have a lot to think about. I don't know where we stand now. Ezio and I. That trip was so... I don't even know how to describe it— intimate?

We are connected in way I've never been with anyone else before. As if I let on more than I intended to. This is foreign. And the feeling terrifies me.

The memory of that trip keeps replaying in my mind. My excitement as we watched the magnificent aurora. His smile. His arms around me. Our tender kiss. Shit shit shit. We never did tender before.

That's why I'm on flight mode now.

I run away. Literally.

Yes, I'm crazy I know.

Two days after we land back in Sicily, I execute my abrupt plot.

I go missing. I email my boss my resignation in the last minute. I leave my cellphone in Ezio's house. Hell, to take it more seriously, I even use my fake passport to book a flight to Antwerp, Belgium. To be completely unreachable. All away from him.

The anxiety really consumes me. I don't want to be found. Not even by my family. Because everyone will be associated to him.

Sure as hell I have a death wish by now if he knows I betray him like this.

I just hope he's tired of my stupid actions and find another woman to fuck. It's a lot better if he forgets about my existence altogether.

Will he? Why am I suddenly bothered at the thought?

I check into three different hotels these three nights, always paying in cash because I don't want him trace the spending on my card. My brother has taught me bits of survival just in case we're on the run.

Well, I am now. From the infamous mafioso.

✖️

I'm awaken in the night with beads of sweat on my temple. The quality of sleep is shitty these days. I consciously put up my guard and become hyper aware. I'm jumpy all the time.

It's best if I switch town tomorrow. I need to keep moving.

Suddenly a dark shadow moves from my peripheral. Quick and almost unnoticeable. Please, God, have mercy on me. Don't be who I think it is. I swallow the lump in my throat. The nausea kicks in. I dare to turn my head and the next thing I know, the cold tip of a gun kisses my jugular.

Fuck.

"I don't even know where to start with you." A familiar voice cuts through the intense silence. The tone is cold and deadly. He's all business and superiority, a total polar opposite from days ago. Takes me back to the first time we met.

I glance up briefly at him. His jaw clenches at the sight of me. His features hard and menacing. He's not playing. He's livid.

I'm dead. What was I thinking? I should fly out of Europe!

"You fucking scare me, dolcezza." He says through gritted teeth. His rage is palpable. He sounds like he wants to rip me apart right here. "I thought somebody fucking kidnapped you, damn it!" He grabs the lamp on the bedside table and throws it across the room. I flinch as that thing shatters pathetically all over the floor.

"Fucking explain yourself." He hisses slowly, pressing his gun deeper under my chin to emphasize that my life depends on it. My pulse quickens underneath.

"I—I need..." I can't even get my words out. This side of Ezio is dangerous and lethal. One slight mistake and I will kiss the world goodbye.

"Look at me when you talk!" he snaps and I obey immediately. Feeling even more powerless when our eyes meet. The fury in them melts my last bit of bravado. I won't stand a chance. This is a losing battle.

"I—I need to get away." I speak in shaky voice, trying to pull myself together.

"Using a fake identity? Are you fucking insane?" His voice raises an octave. "Do you know how worried I am? How many scenarios running through my mind?"

"I'm sorry." I try to touch his wrist, but he brushes it off. Okay, persuasion is out of option now.

"No, you are not." Those eyes narrow. Reading me like the back of my hand. "Why you ran away?"

I decide to reply truthfully because there's no point hiding it anymore. "I'm overwhelmed."

"So, you ran." He mocks bitterly. Clearly unpleased by my stupid actions. Telling me this is a whole bad idea from the start.

"I need some space, Ezio." I reason, not even feeling a slight guilt. It shows because he looks hurt for a second before it's completely replaced by a cold, hard mask.

"We are just fucking, dolcezza. It's not that deep." He spits out venom. It's like he tries to convince himself rather than me. But somehow those words make me upset. Who the hell does he think he is?

"Must've been a hella pussy seeing you come all the way here." I retort. It's out before I can process it. I swear to God my mouth has a mind of itself.

His smirk is wicked. The gun runs lower to my collarbone, then between my breast. "Yeah, I kinda miss that." His low, husky voice sends goose bumps all over my skin. The effect he has on me is undeniable.

I make a move to smack him, but he catches my wrist, pushing my body further down the bed. "You really crave punishment, don't you?"

I gulp loudly as both of his knees get on the bed, settling on each of my sides. Suddenly the survival instinct takes over my foggy brain and I switch to fight mode now.

"I am not your fucking property." I nearly snap. I don't know where the hell I get the guts in the last two minutes, but I won't go down tonight.

"Is that so?" his lips curl up, looking amused as ever. Those eyes dare me to continue. Obviously planning something evil in mind.

I open my mouth. Nothing comes out.

Then, I do something terrible. My other hand grips the blade under the pillow and without much thought, I stab him with it.

He doesn't have time to dodge at the abrupt movement. The devil freezes in place, clearly as shocked as I am. Dark red cascades from his upper arm. I gasp out loud as the realization hits me.

I stab the boss of mafia. I stab Ezio Salucci.

"Cazzo." He hisses. The sharp pain begins to flood his senses.

The blade and blood distract him for seconds, so I use the opportunity to shove him out of the way.

I only make it to three steps before he grabs my ankle. Loud thud and my shriek fill the room as I fall face first on the floor.

Both of my wrists are immediately locked behind my back. I feel drops of blood on my skin.

"Let me g—" His large hand covers my mouth to muffle my scream. Nearly blocking all the oxygen.

"One word out of your mouth and I'll damage you good, understand?" His voice is eerily calm. The threat behind his words sending chill to my bone. I don't want to find out his psychopathic side, so I nod quickly. "Good girl." He praises. "Don't make it more difficult for you, okay? Start from now, you do as I say."

Fuck.

I just sign my death certificate.

✖️