2

It was 1911, on a clear and warm autumn day. Ada was working, while William was on the Olympic on his way to New York. I was alone and somehow I found myself at the port, sitting on a bench and taking notes in my notebook. Although I could never bring myself to step onto a ship, I felt drawn to the port and its people. To the sea. I was sitting near the pier of the White Star Line. I can even remember what I was wearing. My favorite red and white striped dress with matching red boots and a white hat with a red and white striped ribbon that I had placed next to me. Strange really...I was never the one to care about clothes or to remember what I was wearing...

Anyway, it was my hat that set the fateful events in motion.

I was lost in my notes when I noticed a gust of wind grab my hair, wave it into my face, and send it flying into the air.

"Great," I muttered, closing my notebook and attempting to put order in my hair by reaching out for my hat. Only that it wasn't there anymore; the wind had blown it on the street, further and further away with every blow.

"No, stop!" I cried out. Grabbing my notebook, I stood up and ran to retrieve my hat. The problem was that I was wearing a tight dress, making it difficult to move quickly. Looking back now, I must have been quite the sight for the people I passed. Not that I cared; I just wanted to get my hat back. As I focused on the stupid thing, I failed to notice where I was going. I didn't see the person standing in front of me until it was too late. When I collided with him, the impact threw me onto the ground, landing harshly on my rear end.

I groaned, "Ouch!" as I grimaced in pain.

"My, that's what I call a hurry," a male voice said behind me.

Are you all right?

"I'm not sure," I replied sarcastically, rubbing my injured hip. "I haven't looked."

The man chortled.

He asked me, "How many fingers do you see?" as he put a strong-looking hand with slender fingers in front of my face.

I glanced up.

"Is that supposed to be a joke?" I asked him in disbelief.

He answered, "Yes, but it's a bad one, I admit."

He extended his hand to help me up.

"Thank you," I said, feeling slightly self-conscious. "I'm really sorry about this."

"No need to worry," the man replied cheerfully. "It takes more than a cute girl to knock me down."

I decided to disregard this comment.

He grinned as he held up his right hand. He noticed my hat.

He asked, "Did you want to get this?"

"Yes!" I replied, relieved at finally having my hat back. "Thank you."

For the first time, I looked directly into the stranger's face. Blue eyes stared back at me, a blue that I had never seen before or since. Deeper and bluer than any ocean ...

A blue that would haunt me for the rest of my life.

My knees were giving way.

"Careful!" he shouted as he caught me before I could fall down again. "Maybe you should sit down for a few minutes," he suggested, a slight smile on his face.

Yes.

I lay in his arms, my heart beating as if it were trying to break free from my chest. I could take in his scent-seawater, wind, and sun. Our bodies were so close that our noses nearly touched; his blue eyes fixed on mine. Never had I been so close to anyone.