3: The rescuer

As she walked home from her shift at the diner, Emily couldn't shake the feeling of unease that had been creeping up on her all evening. She knew that she should have asked one of her coworkers to walk her home, but she didn't want to be a burden. Besides, it was just a short walk. What could go wrong?

As she turned down the quiet side street that led to her apartment, Emily's heart started to race. She heard footsteps behind her, and when she turned to look, she saw a man approaching her. He was tall and muscular, with a wild look in his eyes that made her blood run cold.

"Hey there, pretty lady," the man said, his voice slurred. "Where are you headed all by yourself?"

Emily tried to keep walking, but the man stepped in front of her, blocking her path. She could smell the alcohol on his breath, and she knew that she was in trouble.

"Leave me alone," she said, her voice shaking. "I don't want any trouble."

The man just laughed and lunged at her. Emily screamed, but before she could do anything else, a strong hand grabbed the man's shoulder and pulled him away from her.

"Leave her alone," a voice said. It was a man's voice, deep and commanding.

Emily looked up and saw a tall, handsome man standing between her and her attacker. He had dark hair and piercing blue eyes, and he looked like he knew how to handle himself in a fight.

The man who had been attacking her backed off, cursing under his breath. "Fine," he said. "You can have her. I was just looking for a good time anyway."

With that, he stumbled away down the street, leaving Emily alone with her rescuer.

"Are you okay?" the man asked, his voice softening.

Emily nodded, still too shaken to speak. She looked up at him, taking in his chiselled features and broad shoulders. He was wearing a leather jacket and a pair of jeans, and he looked like he had stepped straight out of a movie.

"Thank you," she finally managed to say. "I don't know what would have happened if you hadn't come along."

The man smiled at her, his eyes twinkling. "It's no problem," he said. "I couldn't just stand by and watch someone get hurt."

They stood there for a moment, staring at each other in the glow of the streetlight. Emily felt a strange attraction to the man, even though she knew nothing about him. She wondered if he felt the same way.

"Would you like me to walk you home?" he asked, interrupting her thoughts.

Emily nodded, grateful for the offer. Together, they started down the street, walking side by side in comfortable silence.

As they walked, Emily couldn't help but steal glances at the man next to her. She noticed the way his hair fell across his forehead, the way his jacket hugged his broad shoulders. She wondered what it would be like to kiss him, to feel his strong arms around her.

They reached Emily's apartment building all too soon, and Emily turned to face her rescuer. "Thank you again," she said. "I really appreciate it."

The man smiled at her, his blue eyes twinkling. "It was my pleasure," he said. "Just be careful out here, okay? It's not safe to be walking alone at night."

With that, he turned and walked away, leaving Emily standing alone in the empty street. She watched him go, her heart racing, and she knew that she would never forget this night.