Chapter Two

Chapter Two

"So you need men to fight your battles for you?" Andy was about to speak but Theo continued. "Well, I mean, maybe it's a good thing since when you do you've ended up killing someone."

Andy doesn't even have a come back so she just runs out of the office and through the barn to the parking lot before anyone can catch her, not even Maya.

Andy drove away from the station and when she was far enough away she moved the backseat of her car and sobbed, she just doesn't know what to do. Do the others think of me like that too? She couldn't help but question herself. She feels her phone vibrating and picks it up and sees that it's Chief Ross calling, she just lets it ring, not wanting to talk to anyone. She put the phone down on the seat beside her, it starts to light up with the team sending her texts but she just can't get herself to pick it up so she leaves it in the backseat and drives to Michelle's apartment knowing that no one would know to look for her there.

Andy knocked on Michelle's door, hoping her sister-cousin would be home. When she knocked a couple more times and didn't get a response she just sighed and made her way back to her car. The words you've ended up killing someone rang in her ears. She rested her head on the sterling wheel and sighed. Andy had just turned her car on when her phone started vibrating.

Chief Ross flashed across the phone screen. Andy sighed but picked up the call.

"Hello?"

"Ah. Finally, you answered Herrera. I've been trying to call you for the last couple of hours. Come to my office. I think we need to talk about a few things."

"Okay. I'll be there, Chief. Bye."

Andy started her car and made her way to City Hall. This is going to be so bad. Andy thought. When she got to City Hall she made her way to Ross' office. Andy took a breath and knocked.

"Come in." Andy heard Chief Ross call.

Andy opened the door and saw Chief Ross sitting at her desk. When Andy came in she stood up.

"Chief Ross, hi."

"Herrera." Ross nods. "Take a seat." Andy sighs and sits down in a chair. "Hughes called me and told me what happened at the station."

"It wasn't a big deal. I can handle it." Andy tried to shake it off.

"Andy, you ran out of the station during shift after something Ruiz said to you." Ross looked at Andy and saw her cast her gaze down. "I can tell it's affecting you. Vic said it was something about what happened with Jeremy?"

"He said some things, yes. But I was being overdramatic."

"Herrera." Ross firmly said. "I need to know what he said."

"Then ask someone else," Andy said, standing up.

"I need to know what he said," Ross told her, also standing up. "Because I need to know if I just need to transfer him, or if I need to fire him."

"He did bring up the Jeremy thing," Andy said, defeated. "We got into a fight and he brought him up and then Sullivan got involved and then Theo said, and I quote "So you need men to fight your battles for you?" And then "Well, I mean, maybe it's a good thing since when you do you've ended up killing someone."" Andy looked down, not wanting to see Ross' face.

There's an uncomfortable silence for a couple of minutes before Ross picks up the phone.

Andy looked up and horror when she heard Ross call Theo and told him to come in.

"What the heck are you doing?" Andy asked, shocked.

"Protecting my firefighters. I refuse to let you get bullied, Herrera." Ross watched Andy start to pace. "I know you said you didn't want to be captain, well, acting captain, but Beckett has reached out and told me that he won't be coming back to FD"

"What? Why? Where's he going?"

"I need you to not tell anyone else this, but rehab. He told me he's been struggling with drinking for a while now. He's been drinking on and off but after the training accident and Cooper dying he started to hit the bars a little too hard.' Ross rushed out and Andy was still surprised. "I know. It's a surprise. Anyways, I want you to become captain of 19." Ross watched a small smile form on Andy's face. "I was going to head over to 19 your next shift to announce it, but since Ruiz being acting captain right now is causing so much trouble, I wanted to tell you now."

"So if I'm captain what does that mean for the rest of the house and Theo?"

"Because of his behaviour, I'm going to be transferring him to station 7 and bringing in another firefighter. I don't know who yet, but 19 is already short a firefighter since Miller died." Ross paused. "Right now I need you to go into the conference room while I speak to Ruiz."

"Can't I just go home for the day?"

"Ruiz is already on his way here. I don't want you to run into each other when you're leaving so no, you need to stay here." Ross sighed. "I'm going to tell Ruiz I'm making you permanent captain and that he'll be moving houses. I want you to wait in the conference room until the meeting is done and he leaves. Got it?"

Andy can only nod. Chief Ross shoo her away when they hear a knock on the door.

"Lieutenant Ruiz. come in." Ross said as she opened the door. "We need to have a talk."