Chapter Five: The Film Flim Flam

The advance stipend from Special Technologies allows Benny to purchase a nice suit and coat from Prince's on Broadway, and retain a good chunk of change. Now looking more like a respectable man as opposed to a lumberjack, Haskins straightens his tie while waiting outside of the Fenwick. He tips his fedora with the navy blue band forward ala Warner Brothers.

Green as a praying mantis, purring like a two-ton tiger, the Stylemaster pulls up on the street. Even in the cold, passersby stop to gawk at the machine with the buff hood and unreasonable engine power. Their eyes bulge near to bursting on seeing the driver step out. A dame!

Crank steps out in style: while the black cap and lace gloves are ubiquitous, she dolls up in a golden high collar sweater brandishing the name 'Crank', a flowing circular, ankle length black skirt...and the boots. Add to that her peculiar choice of lipstick (black!) eyeshadow (gray) and eyeliner (gold?) and Benny doesn't know whether to propose or run. She fits her hand into a black muff, shuts the car door, and skips Benny's way.

"Hey, Vecchio! You clean up nice! Reeeaaaaallll nice!" Her eyes swell to owl size along with her grin. Benny loves seeing her wide teeth. He wants to lick her teeth, and then finds it odd that he's never had a thought like that before. But once Crank strokes his three-piece blue suit, he sees a tiny, petite girl. Suddenly, he feels like he wants to lick the teeth of a child and should be arrested.

"Okay! Let's go inside, Kid!"

"Why? What's wrong? You are very moody, you know that? Anybody ever tell you that you're moody?"

"Yeah, yeah! Two tickets for Laura," Benny snaps at the teller.

"I'm sorry sir. Last minute change of plans. We're showing a war propaganda piece." The teller clicks when she speaks, as if her tongue was printing out ticker tape.

Not more war stuff! Can't I forget the war for one lousy night? Benny's brain wants to explode.

Not more war! I'm trying to get this guy to notice me and I need a romantic movie! Perché?! Crank's heart takes a tailspin nosedive.

"Well, Kid, what do you want to do?" Benny shoves his hand in his coat pocket. His shoulders slump in defeat.

Crank gives it a twirl in her mind. It's still a date, right? "Let's see it, and make the most of it, okay?"

Sighs, sigh and more sigh. So much sighing ruptures from Benjamin Haskins that Crank thinks it must be his gasoline, that the American war machine could power a whole fleet of vehicles on the Benny Gas Line.

Benny plops down the dough, and snatches the tickets. He escorts Frederica inside, where they wait in line to purchase popcorn. The entire time she has his right arm in a tight hook, as if he were a prize fish that could, at any minute, slip free and return to the ocean. He allows it. It's an uncomfortable feeling, but Benny lets it stand.

Two ladies in front turn their eyes repeatedly at Crank's footwear. One of them is the blonde waitress who had doted on Benny. When she sees 'her man', she gets right chatty.

"Hey Sugar! You been working hard since you ate that big meal I fed you?"

Crank's head performs a double back loop before looking up at her date. "This woman fed you, eh?"

"No! I mean, yes. She's a waitress at the place I grabbed breakfast this morning. Yeah, I'm full still. How's it going?"

"I'm fine. It's cute to take your daughter out to a movie." Her smile to Benny is as fake as a wooden nickel. Worse though, Crank sees Haskins has no idea the waitress is mocking her. When the two women lock eyes, alpha musk fills the lobby.