Chapter 6

Meow…… I sensed a feeling of guilt rush in my mind. It was when I realized that I haven’t called Meow since I came here. What the hell was I doing…? But before I could answer the phone, the phone went dead. Now it lay on the table, still. Unfortunately the silence didn’t last longer. The phone rang again. Though I was quite sure who the caller would be, yet I had a quick look at the screen. Jere…… Yet again I was surprised by the caller Id that appeared on the screen. The difference was just that the guilt feeling was now replaced with a feeling of doubt. It was strange of Jeremy, my elder brother to call me. I still remembered how he would to stay away from home half the year and never call anyone at home. I hated to remember that. How I used to miss him whenever I got in any trouble, how Mom missed him whenever she bypassed his room and how Dad showed lack of interest in any of his matters. But despite all that he was the most lovable brother ever on earth.

“Hey….Jere...” I said in a low tone. It stunned me to hear no voice on the other end. “Jere….are you there? What’s wrong?” I asked hesitantly. This time I was bewildered to get no response. Thought it wasn’t usual of Jere to ring up anyone, but he wasn’t exactly the kind of person who would stay silent. Neither had he belonged to the category of people who can’t express themselves. He was always interested in theatre and acting. And he always bemuses me with his acting skill, specially the pranks he uses to play on me. It was then; it hit my mind that this would most probably be one of his pranks. “Huh….you really scared me….prank successful” I said as I hung up the phone.

I shifted my attention again to the paper on my hand, in the process quickly turning the first page. As I want through the next two pages it didn’t amaze me to find the answers nearly perfect. I knew it from the first day itself that Eliezabeth was an intelligent student. Her face showed everything. She was just like an open book. Why was she sad when her answers were perfect?? But when I turned the next page, and the next, the answer to her sorrowfullness  was very much clear. She hasn’t finished the paper. But why?? It all seemed like a never ending mystery. After going thought half of the papers in the bundle, I stopped in agony. I just couldn’t figure out the problem with the paper. Not even a single student finished the paper fully.

Just then I saw the instructions written on the cover page of the paper, which made me burst into laughter. TIME- 1 hour. It was written in bold letters. I was such a fool to give them to this paper just in 35 minutes. I thought, laughing at my stupidity. Now what am I gonna do? How am I gonna explain everything? Oh man….Now face the music. With that stood from the chair and made my way out of the cubicle, as it the bell for the break rang at that moment.

     *******************************************************************************************************                                                                                                                    

After experiencing a horrible day filled with disasters I was totally exhausted. Although I was expecting the rest of the day to be worse, I still lay on the bed trying to relax a little bit. It was just 1:15 yet. Too early for me to be home yet. I thought remembering how I ran directly home after the last bell. Despite the fact that I came home earlier than ever, I wasn’t feeling good about it. I felt like criminal running from the cops. I was restless, moreover guilt ridden. First I left Tia all alone at school while I ran off to home like a coward. Second I ditched the extra class which was going to be held after session. All because I didn’t wanted to deal with Lee. See for yourself Lee, it’s your entire fault. I muttered as I got up from the bed.

Just then, I heard the phone ringing. Tring...tring...tring. I hated the way it rang in an unnaturally high pitched tone. Even you are not gonna leave a chance to taunt me. Are you??? I yelled disgusted, as I dragged myself to pick up the phone. “Hello” I said in a rather rude tone. But when I heard the voice at the other end, my heard literally stopped functioning, my lungs were out of air and I felt as if I was in Antarctica freezing to death. Lee…. Oh my gosh, somebody pinch me. I was lost in my own thoughts when I heard him speak again. “Eliezabeth, you there??” “Yeah, but how did you get my number?” I asked trying to catch my breath. “Oh...Tia gave me, I shouldn’t have done that, right” he said quickly. Damn…you fool. How could you say that? “No...No...It’s just that I wasn’t expecting you. Anything important” I asked trying to cover up what I mumbled before. “I just called to find if you are interested to do the business studies project in the upcoming exhibition” I could sense hesitance in his voice this time as he spoke. Urrrg...Exhibition, business studies…what am I gonna say.... “ I don’t mind if you don’t wanna take part, I  thought I should at least ask you as you didn’t show up for the meeting” he said in a low intense voice. Oh come on...Think of something fast you fool. “It’s not that I don’t wanna take part…I… I...” but before I could complete my sentence he broke in. “great then, we’ll have our first working session at 2:30 today…I’ll look forward to you...bye” with that he ended the call before I could open my mouth to say a word.

Oh man. What was that? Did you just agree to work under Lee…carp...what the hell was wrong with me? A minute before I was mad at him and right now I was back to adoring him.Oh please stop this…you are supposed  to be mad at him. Remember your principles. Never forgive anyone until apology comes in your way. But before that I gotta deal with tee... I thought as I dialed Tia’s number. Her phone was switched to voicemail so I left her a message to meet me near the junk spot at 2:30. Junk spot was the name we have given to the corner of the road near the school. It was usually the place where we meet up before school. After that I grabbed my towel and headed to the bathroom to take a shower.

It was almost 2:25 when I got out of the house to go to school. When I reached the junk spot I was sweating heavily as it was awfully hot. Meanwhile I was having a minor headache. But seeing Tia nowhere made my head blast out of anger. I hate you Tee and lee. I screeched while hot tears ran down my cheek.  And you fool, why do you have to cry every now and then. It’s getting pretty old now. I hated myself for being such a baby at times. But it was a part of my personality which seems to get intense day by day.

When I entered the school Lee was sitting on the front bleacher near the Oak tree along with some of my own classmates. I could see Hanna and her gang trying to linger with him. For some reason I felt jealous, but it took me just a few seconds to realize that I don’t really care about it. I am going to be angry with you until you say sorry… Did you hear that? The interior battle in my mind grew stronger and stronger as I made my way to the bleacher. As I arrived at the bleacher, Hanna and her gang eyed me. I knew that they were not going to like the fact that I will be working with them. We usually behaved like enemies thought I don’t actually remember the reason for the rivalry. I just knew that from day one I dint like her, I never got positive vibes from her.

“Hey…we were just waiting for you” a boyish smile cracked on Lee’s face. “Hi” without my knowledge I greeted him back. “Let’s go to the class and get started with the work” Lee headed to our class as he instructed us to do the same. “Tia isn’t coming” I asked one of my classmates. “Yeah...she went for the computer project” I heard someone say, though I didn’t attempt to see who it was. Tee, you left me here all alone. I hate you so so much. With that I followed everyone to class. I saw lee standing in the corridor of first floor smiling at me. He accompanied me to the second floor. Though I was trying to hate the idea of being with him, my stomach was flattering.

“I am glad that you came” he said trying to break the ice. But I was too nervous to say anything. It was like I was dumbfounded for that moment. I was so embarrassed, that I didn’t even look at him on my way though he kept his eyes glued on me. The class room was buzzing, when we entered. I took a seat in the front row as he stood infront of the white board. He was wearing a gray shirt with a pair of blue jeans. His hair was looking a little messy as it hung at angles down his forehead almost covering it. He was looking hotter than ever.

**************************************************************************************************************

After discussing the project plan I gave them a break. Not that they needed it, I was the one mostly in need of it. Half an hour has passed and Eliezabeth has barely spoken. Was she angry with me?? Was she still upset about the test paper?? First time in my whole life I have felt so confused. I looked at the class which right now was empty except both of us. Without waiting for long I grabbed a chair and sat in front of Eliezabth. But in the process, my knees clashed against hers, making the moment awkward and moreover making me more nervous.  “Sorry” I said as I stiffened a little. “No problem” she said not looking in my way. “Are you still upset about the Test paper??” I asked her trying very hard not to sound creepy. I could make it from her face that she didn’t like the approach of the topic. To my surprise her mood switched quickly. “Yeah…sort off. It just shook me a little when you gave such a big paper” she said smiling. I tried to hold my laughter but at last I let out a chuckle. “Actually I forgot to check the time limit before handing the papers. Anyways I am thinking of re-testing” finally I managed to say. This time she was also giggling. Her face was finally lit up with a smile.

I couldn’t help but gaze at her while laughed. She looked so innocent and cute. I felt like cupping her bright red cheeks. Suddenly I realized that she had tears in her eyes. Why was she crying?? Did I make her unhappy again?? But she is still laughing. Like always I failed to understand her emotions. “Why are you crying?” I asked her confused. “No, it’s because of the laughter” she said laughing a harder than before. This time I joined in, just because I felt like laughing at my constant stupidity. We both kept laughing until the class started buzzing again.