Prologue: The Other Side

"Kunugigaoka Junior High School?"

"Yes! I heard that it's the best school in the prefecture! You'll be a top-ranking student in no time Yuzuha!"

Yuzuha was skeptical about the idea at first, but seeing how her grandparents were relentlessly going on and on about that school, she finally agreed to enroll into that school. Here she was finally, standing in front of one of the very prestigious school in the whole of Tokyo. She had to admit, the school was beyond her expectations. Excellence seemed to brimming from the school's aura itself. Yuzuha scratched her silky black hair which traveled down to her waist. Her eyes the color of amethyst scanned about her surroundings. Nobody else was around.

"It's almost time for the entrance ceremony. Looks I better hurry up."

And so, Yuzuha took her first step into the school, her hopes of having a happy school life set in her head.

******

The gym where the entrance ceremony was indeed huge, Yuzuha had to admit. She was only one of the countless students who filled the gym to the brim, listening intently to the principal's speech. The atmosphere somehow felt weird, but Yuzuha ignored and copied the other students. The students here... seemed to be a little too perfect for some reason. Like robots.

Just when she was getting convinced that everyone around her were robots, the sound of footsteps came from her right. Her violet eyes glanced towards the source of those sounds.

A class of students had entered the gym, looking dejected and tired somehow. All around Yuzuha, the students responded to their presence with insults and jeers.

"Go back to your damn class, End Class!"

"Trash!"

"What a bunch of losers!"

Yuzuha stared from student to student in her own class. Why, why were they making fun of the E Class?

"Hey Chitose-san, what's going on?"

Her classmate Chitose gave her a surprised look before realization hit her.

"Oh right you're new aren't you Ashiya-san? You see, over there is the Class E. They're the disgrace of our school so they've been chased out of the main building to study in that rundown old school building up the mountain."

"Up the mountain? So for assembly each day they have to come all the way down here?"

"Of course! That'll teach them what it means to be failures! Go away, Class E!"

Yuzuha's eyes darted about the gym. This wasn't right. She looked out for the teachers but the results were the same. Even they were jeering Class E just like the other students. Yuzuha pretended to listen to the student council president's speech while staring at Class E. She couldn't help but feel that she should do something about this situation, that this was very wrong and cruel.

However, she was just one student, and compared to the entire student body, she was just an ant waiting to be smashed to bits. If she wanted to 'live' then she had to 'ignore'. Such was the way of her life if she wanted to remain as a student. Her thoughts traveled back to her late father's words.

"Do you like school, Yuzuha-chan?"

No, Dad, I hate school. I hate this school to its very core.