Chapter 10

Author's Note

Hey guys! It's technically still Sunday right? Right. Either way, the chapter's a little longer than usual, so I hope that makes up for it! I think I like this schedule, so I'll try to keep at it. Comment if you have any suggestions, vote if you find it worthy! Thanks for reading. <3

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Silver's POV

I felt Shadow's words ringing in my ears, even as Amy dragged me out of the room.

"She might never wake up..." The thought hurt. It physically pained me to think that Blaze would never get up again. When Sonic pushed Amy and I to leave, nothing but rage accompanied my shock. "How dare he tell us to leave?! He was the one that caused all of this to begin with!"  I thought angrily to myself, barely able to register anything else besides my anger.

I shook my head, and once again I felt a wave of guilt about focusing on Blaze instead of Amy. "I barely know her. I shouldn't care so much." I thought again, chastising myself. However... I had a nagging feeling that I was lying to myself. Logically speaking, I never had a full conversation with the cat, and had only seen her a few times. She was a friend of a friend, and nothing more. We had no previous encounter or connection. Logically speaking, my heart shouldn't pound at the mention of her, my stomach shouldn't churn at the thought of her in that coma, and I should not feel like death while she's injured. The thing was, I knew perfectly well that I was not a logical hedgehog.

I returned to the real world, snapped away from my thoughts as Amy stopped moving. I surveyed the area around me, and realized that Amy had led me away from Cream and Vanilla's house to a meadow that was nearby. Cream and Vanilla enjoyed their house and the large amount of flowers that bloomed in the area, and this meadow was particularly beautiful this time of a year. It was a shame that I was far too distracted to enjoy it. I looked down at Amy, who was looking back with a concerned expression on her face. I realized then that I was holding her hand far too tightly, and my hands were trembling slightly.

I immediately relaxed my body, trying to seem as relaxed as possible. No matter what I was feeling, I really didn't want to hurt Amy. She was one of my better friends, and I cared about her a lot. I felt guilty when I realized what pain she must be going through. One of her best friends was put in a coma, Sonic had kicked her out of the house, and now I was acting this way. I wanted to apologize, or just say anything, but I kept my mouth shut. Amy looked forward, shook her head, and led me to a bench sitting on the other side of the meadow. We sat down for only a minute or two, but it felt like an eternity.

As soon as we sat down, my mind immediately returned to thoughts of Blaze. It felt wrong, terribly wrong, to be sitting here while she was still at the house. The strange feelings of concern and guilt whenever I thought her name were becoming familiar, and I let them wash over me and consume me. I wanted to see her. Even my feet seemed eager to just jump up and run as fast as they could back to the house, burst open the front door, and demand for them to let me in Blaze's room. Suddenly, Amy spoke.

"Silver..." She said, almost as an afterthought more than a statement. Neither of us looked at the other, but we continued holding hands.

"Yes?" I responded, once again snapping my thoughts back to reality. No matter how bad I felt, I wasn't going to ignore Amy.

"What's wrong with you...?" She asked, trailing off again. She sounded hurt, and after today, I couldn't blame her.

"I don't know... I'm just worried." I respond honestly, as I always tried to do. I genuinely believed that it was important to be honest with people, no matter what. I just hoped that my honesty and my feelings wouldn't hurt her more than she already was.