And I Really Thought He Liked Me

We danced for what felt like hours. We could feel the eyes on us but we didn't care, to us we were alone in this ballroom.

   "You dance wonderfully, cara." Terzo smiled.

"I can say the same about you, you dance so smoothly." At my words he dipped me so his face was close to mine.

"You look beautiful tonight."

  I blush at his words. "You look better, absolutely stunning. I mean look at the girls behind us gawking at you." I giggled, looking behind me. He then moved his head to look at them.

"When you go dance with Aether I might take one of them." He smiled back at me.

I let out a snort. "Oh, please, like he would want to dance with me." Terzo's face then dropped. "What is it?" I asked, worried.

  "He's behind you." He whispered quietly. I then swiftly turned my head around and was met with the masked face of Aether.

   "Hey Aeth!" I smiled brightly, he didn't look to happy though. "What's wrong..?"

  "Can you come with me for a moment?" He asked, completely monotone.

  "Of course," I smiled, then turned to Terzo. "I'll be back, have fun!" I winked as he let go of me with a laugh.

   We walked out of the ballroom and back into the courtyard. As we walked Aether kept looking around as if we were being followed.

  "Is everything okay?" I asked as we sat down in the gazebo.

   "This is gonna sound crazy but I need your help..." He was fidgeting with his hands, nervously.

  "What is it? Aether, you're scaring me." I whispered. He didn't even look at me but I could hear him swallow harshly.

  "It has to do with Swiss-"

  "No."

   "Can you just hear me out?" He pleaded.

   I crossed my arms and huffed. "It depends on what he needs."

  "I need you to talk to him... I just had to pull him out of the ballroom because he's drunk and crying over you. I didn't want his wife to get upset." He explained and I just sat there letting what he told me sink in.

  He was crying over me? What's wrong with him?

  "F-fine... but if it gets weird or awkward I'm leaving." I stated and Aether smiled at my reaction.

  "Great! You stay here, I'll go grab him! He's probably gonna be happy that I'm letting him out of the pantry." He giggles then walked away with a little bounce in his step.

  The pantry? I giggled to myself at the thought of Swiss crying in the pantry shoving his face full of baked goods.

————-

  I sat nervously, knees together and hands folded in my lap and occasionally glancing at the entrance to the courtyard. Every now and then I would adjust my mask to make sure I was completely hidden.

  After around ten minutes I could hear soft sobs coming from the garden then I saw the masked faces of Swiss and Aether. I gulped nervously as I picked at the skin around my fingers.

  "Wh-who is that?" Swiss pointed as he choked on his tears.

  "It's (Y/n)..." Aether said softly, then Swiss ran to he and hugged me. I was taken aback, too startled to hug him back, not that I wanted to.

  "I-I'm so s-sorry." He cried into my shoulder. I shook my head.

   "You didn't do anything Swiss." I frowned. "It was my faul-" He then grabbed my face as he stood up straight... well as straight as you could stand when you are drunk.