Chapter 39

I'm very sorry that I stopped updating for a while—over a month, I think. Well, I'm back now, I don’t plan on discontinuing this book or any other future ones I'm working on.

Thank you for your patience
~Cye♡
----------------------------------
Rem towered above an unknown man, giving him instructions to write all the names of the criminals displayed on the huge screen in front of him into the death note. This was simply a deal between human and god, with Rem following Light’s orders so her beloved will be saved and the man doing it for unknown reasons.

~Fiftieth Day in confinement~

“Are you both fine? You know there’s no need for you to stay there anymore, Kira’s been killing again for more than a month”. L spoke into the microphone.

The detective sat on the floor, his back and head rested on the green wall behind him. To anyone who didn’t understand the situation, they would think they kept a corpse in a room.

“I know they’re both innocent. Now we’re just waiting for you to agree with us” it was Soichiro who spoke. He sat on a chair hunched over, not letting his face be in view. “We’re leaving with our children”

L spoke to Light next, asking him about his wellbeing. He laid on the floor, looking as pale as L. “Yeah, I’m all right, but criminals have stopped dying since we’ve been confined. I think it’s very likely that Kira is someone who knows about Y/n’s and my situation, maybe-“

L cut Light off immediately, “No criminal’s have stopped dying because you’re Kira”. Light immediately argued, trying to convince Ryuzaki that you both were innocent.

You were next.

“Y/n-“

“Firstly, do I look fine to you? Secondly, I’m not Kira”. You were trying to comb out your hair before L called. You try every day for hours, and your fingers don’t make it past your roots. It was obvious you lost some memories in the process of trying to kill yourself, and you assumed amnesia was a punishment from a higher being for trying to end the life you were so luckily blessed with. You waited for Ryuzaki’s voice for a while, no matter how coldly your replies were he would always try to make conversation even though it was one sided but this time it took longer then you expected, longer then you liked.

“Light, Y/n”. L’s voice rang out of the speaker, but why was he addressing both you and Light? You heard panting in the background. Someone was definitely running. Did something bad happen?

“I’ve just been informed that Takada just passed away” L informed you both.

“Exactly what I’m saying! Ryuzaki, Kira definitely knows who we are!” Light yelled.

“You may be right”. He admitted.

Takada....died? This has to be a bad thing, right? So why did you feel on cloud fucking nine? You shook away all terrible thoughts from your head feeling scared of yourself, no matter how much confinement fucked with your head, someone’s death wasn’t something you usually felt at peace with.

You flinched as you heard L start talking to Light again, it seemed like it was an argument a very serious one at that. You completely forgot what it was about and as soon as you remembered your lips moved on their own.

“I think you’re Kira, L”. L stopped his conversation with Light as everywhere became silent, even the occasional background noise you would hear from the speaker was nowhere to be found.

“What did you just say?” L spoke, for the first time his voice was mildly threatening.

“You heard me. I think that you, L, are Kira.” There was a very tense pause between what was said and what was about to be said. “You’re the only one that knows about our situation...We all know Takada didn’t die of natural causes and you’re the only one who goes to To-Oh besides Light and I, not to mention we’ve been confined her for weeks. No one knows your name, where you came from or anything for that matter, for all we know, you might not even be human. You could be some death god that just kills by thinking about a name and face for all we know”

“Y/n, it’s obvious the confinement has caused you to lose your mind.”

“Then...Let. Me. Fuckin. Go.”

“Let’s assume even if I am, what would be my reason for all of this”.

“I don’t fucking know! Maybe you have some weird sense of justice. Who am I kidding? You’re literally the world’s greatest detective of course you have a strong sense of justice. No one even knows how you solve your cases its just so inhuman! You came to Japan fed us all lies pretending to chase some mythical serial killer and of course everyone ate the shit up. Why haven’t we caught Kira yet? Whenever we’re so close Kira always escapes, you even came up with a second Kira”.

“Y/n-chan you couldn’t possibly be accusing L” Matsuda spoke this time, his voice soft as if speaking to a lost child. It stung.

“We all know he’s smart enough to pull that off Matsuda-san! I mean, we’ve all pretended to be Kira once, right? He just found perfect people to put the blame on! You watched us with cameras for days, nothing happened. We’ve been confined for so long, and the killings just stop? Come on now. L is Kira, and he’s playing everyone like fools, and we’re going to suffer. Before you see the truth, he would have had us executed by then. Please do something! He’s insane! He brought 12 FBI agents here and killed them all so he could get his way...”

“You have no proof. Everyone knows I’m not Kira” L said through the speaker,  observing the two men staring at him cautiously through his peripheral.

“Just like how you have proof of me and Light being Kira? Light and I know we aren’t Kir, and we’ve been trying to tell you all, but no. You backed us up into a corner so much so that our only choice was to beg to be monitored 24/7 and now we’re either going to stay here forever or die in here or out there.” He turned to Misa, ignoring your calls for him. To him, you were just tired and had a lot going on in your mind. Blaming him was your only option. As soon as his suspicion was almost gone, he would talk everything out with you, and you’ll be in his arms as Light stays wherever he wants with Misa.

He pushed the button, allowing Misa to hear his disguised voice as he asked about her wellbeing as well.
“Are you stupid? There’d be something wrong with me if I were alright after all this time.” L agreed with her, and she said, “Please let me go...I wanna see y/n....I wanna see Light...” she kept on repeating those words sounding more broken the more she said it as if she had given up, and her request was akin to a dream that would never come true.

You know the situation had to be at its worst when Aizawa spoke up against L’s decisions. In his opinion, you both should have been released so that the detective and chief could too. Criminals were dying when none of you could receive any information.

L shut down all of Aizawa’s observation,  only stating that the only notable thing was Misa’s unnaturally strong love for Light and her friendship with you. That’s all.

“Ryuzaki, sorry, but I think you’re doing this because you don’t want to admit that you’re wrong about Light and y/n”. Aizawa put out.

L’s nonchalant attitude and answers only ticked him off. “It’s just as Light said; Kira killed Lind L. Tailor and the FBI agents. If Kira could kill under surveillance without obtaining information, then he wouldn’t have needed to kill them! No matter how hard we look, he can’t be traced”.
Matsuda couldn’t get everything you said out of his mind. Even if it was desperation, you had intelligence on par with Light, who has proven that he can challenge L. No matter how far fetched it seemed you made sense and L’s lack off solid response only made Matsuda even more stressed out, but he wasn’t brave enough to speak like Aizawa could especially if he would be indirectly accusing L.

Despite the attitude he displayed, the ravenette actually took the words of his colleagues to mind. He spoke to the fathers of the suspects, asking them to hear his hypothesis on the matter.
And so they did with the three men discussing the whole matter and it ending, leaving both the chief and detective’s eyes wide with their mouth agape.

~Three days later~

Watari opened the gates to your cell as well as released you from your restraints and carefully led you out where you were face to face with Light. Before you could even look at him properly, he ran towards you, pulling you into a hug. It was weak but soft nevertheless. He brushed your unkempt hair to the side, looking for any wounds on your forehead. You stared quietly as he checked your ankles and wrists for any bruises like his weren’t worse.

“Light...he looks so different” you thought as you observed his features. It wasn’t because he got thinner or that his hair was longer, which made him look different. It was his eyes...it was his but so different. He looked so pure. You brushed it off, you hadn’t seen him in over a month, and if the living conditions didn’t cause this, his thoughts would have done it for him. Plus, you must probably also look different as well. This time, it was you embracing him, but the moment didn’t last long as you were dragged away to take a bath and eat something.

Soichiro was driving a handcuffed Misa with her constantly bothering him with questions. Her mood went back to normal, like she wasn’t at her limit days ago. He took a turn, heading through what seemed like an underground tunnel or car park. His headlights shone on Aizawa standing beside Light, and you, on the other side of Light, holding his left hand with both of yours.

As soon as the car stopped and you spotted the blonde, you let go of Light’s hand, which he didn’t even look fond of. His face would only look more sour as Misa rushed out, screaming his name, causing him to echo throughout the car park.

Light quickly spoke to his dad while your eyes searched around for your own. “Dad, what’s going on?”
As soon as Misa heard that her so-called stalker was Light’s dad, she ran over to him, introducing herself as—You guessed it—Light’s girlfriend.

He ignored both of them, collecting car keys from Aizawa and getting into another car. You followed immediately after, with the chief having to tell the others before they got in. It seems that was then Misa acknowledged your presence as she ran to sit beside you, apologising and squealing about how you both survived your trials because you still had you charms with you (you forgot about the charm till she mentioned it). Light decided to stay on your left, letting you be somewhat of a barricade between he and Misa.

“We’re finally cleared and free to go, right?” Light asked his father.

“No” Light and Misa turned to face the man, their eyes looking like they would fall out any second, but you kept you head low, already bracing yourself for his next words.