vi

(Please read the A/N- I normally don't write notes at the beginning so you know it's important ;))

-Autumn-

How is everything in this entire building so enormous for such a small student body? The cafeteria looks enormous and everyone is segregated into their groups at different tables. A feeling of gratefulness surges through me that I don't have to go through the cliche experience of searching for a table to sit at.

Eleanor catches up behind us. "June, I'm so excited to see Holden! I think this year might be the year he makes his move!" June grimace/smiles and nervously laughs in response. I take it that this Holden they speak of probably has no plans to make any moves on Eleanor.

I hear someone shouting June and I nudge her shoulder. "Hey, I think someone's calling for you," I tell her. She looks up and laughs. June points a finger at the tall boy with dirty blonde hair who was calling her name.

"That's Michael, my boyfriend. Let's go, I'll introduce you." As we weave through the crowd, I notice an even taller boy next to Michael with brown hair and eyes appearing a little mad that we are walking over but trying to cover it up with a forced smile. As soon as we reach where they're standing, they start walking towards their table. June sees my longing look towards the cafeteria line and whispers, "Don't worry, we'll come back. Let's just get you situated."

June drags a seat up for me at the four person table. Wow, that's the epitome of being a fifth wheel, or perhaps, chair. June introduces me and in the process she almost hits me in the face but it's the thought that counts.

June leaves and quickly returns with two lunch trays, so quick I didn't even realize she was gone. She drops my lunch off in front of me and says, "These are the ever-famous Ridgeview Academy chicken tenders. Enjoy," June says with a serious voice that I would have never associated with June. I dig in because I'm starving and it's so good. I see that Michael has four slices of pizza, Holden has two, June has chicken fingers like me, and Eleanor got a salad. Wow, being healthy? Loser.

Eleanor tries on a sultry voice that doesn't quite fit the image of 'perfect school president' and asks Holden what he did this summer. In return, he gives her a noncommittal mumble/response and moves his chair closer to Michael. Michael tries to lighten the mood when he realizes that Eleanor's face is set in a pout. But minutes later, the bad mood is lifted when Eleanor is dragged away by a sophomore (according to June) for some school event. Holden's body relaxes in relief and June, in her subtle way, goes back to her original self.

June and Michael start whispering on the other side of the table and Holden and I sit in an awkward silence before he speaks up.

"Hey, I'm Holden," he says.

"Hi, I'm Autumn," I reply, not really quite knowing what to say other than that.

"Yeah, I know," he laughs. I feel my cheeks grow warm. Well, I knew his name was Holden, I just chose not to make him feel stupid about introducing himself.

"Holden? As in Holden Caulfield?" I ask, thinking of Catcher in the Rye, ready to forgive him for his earlier comment if he knows what I'm talking about.

"No, as in I think you're a phony," he responds with a straight face. Ah, that was clever. Very clever. He's cool now. I forgive him.

"Do you read a lot?" I ask curiously.

"Nah, more of a physics and mathematics guy myself," he denies.

Silence settles in again and Holden and I just play with the food on our plates.