4:20

Ghosts Have Overly
High Expectations

▶︎ •၊၊||၊|။||||။၊|• 2:11

Riya could finally say she knew why Julie was so desperate to get back into the music program. Only one class and it had already become her favourite.

All it took was one hour, one hour with Riya and a guitar in the corner, occasionally sparking conversation with Julie or Flynn before she buried herself in the depths of her newly written songs and the vibration of music moving through her.

One hour changed Riya's entire day.

In fact, Riya rode the high spirits of the music program for the rest of her school day, not falling asleep in history and even actively taking notes in chemistry. The idea of playing in front of basically the whole school now long forgotten. Until it was time to take the bus home.

"Riya!" She froze in place, hand half risen to her ear with an earbud ready to play her music on her way home.

Further down the street she spotted Julie running towards her, half tripping over her own legs with her barely zipped up bag holding her down, she must've had a lot of homework assigned.

Riya allowed the earbud to drop, hanging halfway down her neck, while its twin remained in place inside Riya's ear, silently awaiting the music to be played and continue the joy which had begun in the morning.

"Hey Julie. What's up?" Julie held her finger up, panting heavily as she lent against her knees with her back curving forward. She needed to catch her breath.

"I... I was wondering if you'd like to go tell the guys the good news together, and maybe rehearse a bit." That was a recipe for disaster, which could go one of two ways from what Riya knew of the boys.

Either they'd be excited enough to poof around the room and play on level twelve of their amplifiers, or they'd hate the idea and go to sulking and Riya alongside Julie would have to drag them out of their depression of the fact the only gig they had was a school dance.

Riya convinced herself with her own thoughts.

Although, she first checked her phone, on some odd chance her father wasn't being a workaholic that particular day, and he'd be home for a late lunch and early dinner. However, Riya's theory was discredited by the first notification popping up as she turned her phone on, her father's message talking about how he'd stay late.

She knew he wouldn't have a problem with her going with Julie to her house, in fact, Riya's father almost begged her on his knees to socialize with someone besides the old lady from the seventh floor who always came knocking looking for her calico cat named Kat with a K. Nevertheless, Riya still asked her father and almost immediately received a thumbs up in response, the all good to go.

"Sure, why not?" Julie perked up immediately, hooking her arm around Riya's even if she was still breathless as she dragged her forward down the path towards her home.

They were lucky it was a particularly nice day, no rain, just the right number of clouds as to not burn themselves and a slight enough breeze to ruffle their hair but not chill their bones. The day was perfect, and Riya could've been suspicious about it, but instead enjoyed the perfection while it lasted.

"What are you listening to?"

"Oh, just my mom's old music."

"Can I?" Only two people had ever listened to her mother's recorded music, Riya herself and her father who first introduced her to the recordings. In some deep part of her, it hurt Riya to even think of sharing her mother's music, it was like sharing the secret left behind only for her ears.